Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: WOW first job!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:19 am 

(I didn't know whether to put this the "portrait" section or in the "going pro" section... so here it is in both. Admins feel free to delete whichever post doesn't fit.)

So I work for a bank that just had a grand opening party last night. We were entertaining lots of important people. I'm an employee so I showed up expecting to converse with and suck up to important executives all night. When to my surprise my boss (who owns an XTi/400d) handed me her camera and expected me to document the night. I was so excited. It wasn't a formal job so there wasn't any pressure. She just handed me her XTi, 70-300 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, and 17-40 f/4L lens and let me indulge myself.

IT WAS SOOO MUCH FUN!!! I love taking pictures of people and being right there to capture all the laughs. I've played around with different DSLRs many times in the store so I felt like i knew my way around the camera pretty well but this was my first time actually holding the camera for a couple hours and just shooting away. I loved it. I hope i can do this kind of thing again and again... now i just have to get my own camera.

She let me download some of my best shots... and i really only wanted them incase I made a portfolio and to share with all of you!! I didn't get any of the shot information but I know that I was at 1600 ISO all night and pretty much at the widest aperature possible.

The subjects are obviously meaningless to you but I'd love any comments or criticisms. I basically just wanted to show off some pictures cuz i finally have some of my own!!!

Beside slightly adding contrast and lightening of the very first shot everything else is untouched and uncropped.

1. The Harpest

2. Goofin around with the macro

3. Don't know who this is but I thought it was a great shot...and I think he's an "important person."

4. My favorite guest

5. Just a good shot i thought

6. Had no clue what was going on... just liked the food.

7. She's important. She's smiling. That's rare. So rare that this shot should be worth money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:56 pm 

Great photos! Little did she know that she's showing you a talent that might one day have you quit your day job! Haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 pm 

Nice pics! You really "captured the moment" and great lighting!

Keep it up!

Support Cameralabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:13 am 

i wish i could claim some sort of intentional use of lighting but really i just used the mediocre sunlight coming in from the huge picture windows. i just placed the windows at my back and cranked up the ISO to 1600 so i didn't have to worry about any blur (and knowing that chances were that non of these are going to be blown up big enough to expose any noise). anyways... it was fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 am 

Nice shots. That kid in the photo second from the bottom has a killer mullet! I'm jealous. Lol. Good luck with future work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:55 am 

...Actually, I just realised that was an illusion caused by the hair on the lady behind him. Still funny though. Lol ;)