Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:11 am 
did i process this to much? i do all my photoshopping on another computer and then bring it to the family comp to upload to cameralabs so it looks really dark now but you tell me
check out my flickr for more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:04 am 
There doesn't appear to be that much obvious PP work. It is a very dark image and suggests that one of your monitors needs a calibration.

Otherwise the image is alright in terms of composition and control of DoF. Both faces are dark regardless of your monitor and suggests you needed strong fill light, either from a reflector or strobe light. Alternatively if I were taking the image I'd rearrange the direction the bride and groom. The natural lighting is coming from the right of the frame, so at the moment your subjects are mildly backlit. Simply turning them around to face into the opposite 180 degrees should take away the need for fill light.

Understanding how to get the best of light is important and something that could be missed when inexperienced and under pressure.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:02 am 
yeah i darkend it alot in photoshop but its just my moniter that needs to be calibrated. if i had swithched 180 you wouldnt have the pond and nice senery in the back ground you would have seen the club house but now i've got an idea of what to expect so next time i will be prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 am 
Tomis wrote:
did i process this to much? i do all my photoshopping on another computer and then bring it to the family comp to upload to cameralabs so it looks really dark now but you tell me
check out my flickr for more!

It does seem to be a bit underexposed.

I just quickly edited your photograph just to see if it was possible to brighten up a bit. Here it is...

But I'll just say that I think that is a wonderful capture! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 am 
A slight improvement with the exposure, Sdrummer but it now shows the image as being a little warm. PP can't alter the original lighting conditions and fill light is still needed.

Tomis, you don't quite get the 180 comment. Keep the framing the same (so the background is still as it is) but have the groom on the left and the bride on the right with the dipping down to the right so that he doesn't block the natural light and instead they dip towards it. That would cure the need for fill light. Does this make more sense on how the lighting could have been better used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 pm 

here is the untouched image fresh from the 40D.

also i get get what you mean Ed, have the bride and groom switch places. it would have highlighted the bride more but as i am just the intern i wasn't actualy setting them up myself, but i'm sure i would never have thought about switching them if i was in control of the pose. i need to start paying close attention to small details like that so i can improve my photos and maybe make suggestion of my own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 pm 
Tomis wrote:
as i am just the intern i wasn't actualy setting them up myself, but i'm sure i would never have thought about switching them if i was in control of the pose. i need to start paying close attention to small details like that so i can improve my photos and maybe make suggestion of my own

Not to worry; I did have the reservation with your mentor regarding his indoor flash photography, but no one's perfect. Not even I; I'm just harder on myself and probably others. The questions you should keep asking yourself afterwards are: "What did I do right?" and "What did I do wrong?". The wrongs are harder to identify, but these small things do matter, especially when it comes to lighting. Keep a list of these and you'll soon develop your own style. Good luck - and the original is the pick of the lot; you didn't need to PP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 pm 
does it look like the groom has a mullet in the orignal? what is that on his neck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:36 pm 
i figured it out its the brides hands, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:42 am 
I posted some portraits in the portrait section here's the link:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9259

please evaluate these pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:49 pm 
the most recent dance i shot. i dont know if this couple planned it but he was in crutches and she was in a wheel chair

this my high school golf team, or atleast one of em. i took their pictures for the yearbook
got to love the background in this picture

this picture came out a little blurry as i was lying down manualy focusing in live view but i think it has a nice effect on the image

any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:37 pm 
I feel like i'm talkin to myself on this thread! i have a wedding coming up on 11-1-08! can't wait! I'm shooting it all by my self the bride and groom want no posing done just the whole day documented, i'll be bringing my 40D 18-200 and 50mm 1.8 for low light situations... anyone care to leave a remark?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tomis, I like your golf shots, and you're right, that red-rcok landscape looks great - close to Zion in Utah as I recall?

I also agree with Ed that the non-processed original wedding shot looked the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 am 
Thanks Gordon! And yes Zion is in my backyard! The image that i PP came out terrible! i blame my monitor because it isn't calibrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 am 
The sky in this shot was slightly overcast, but this is the time they wanted there session. if i had more control i would've done the pictures later in the evening when the sun was setting.

the ring shot

i think the bride and groom should've traded places in this shot

(he's a personal trainer)

The Wedding went really good! i shot a little over 500 pictures. above are a few shots, more on my flickr!