Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Online Photo selling
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm 
Im just wondering if anyone uses or knows of any websites on the internet where you can sell your images?

Would make a good part time job to go out, take some photo's then sell them over the tinterweb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
istock.com and shutterstock.com

Make a username, log in, upload photos, wait for them to be accepted (they are very exigent about image quality) and get paid/download. If you have many downloads per image you should get paid well enough.

Good luck!
HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:01 am 

Hi Toby, remember this thread? I posted quite some links there to sites were you can sell photos.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm 

I think Toby, that you would be better getting a website and having people order pints you mail to them, like this photographer here. There isn't much money to be made in stock photography (jn micro stock atleast)

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:30 pm 
is anyone on alamy?

as i'm having trouble trying to get jpgs of 48mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm 
1 picture of 48mb!!??? is that possible??? my raw files are like 7-12 mb.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
I'm with Alamy and the 48mb requirement is the uncompressed JPEG file size.

When you open a JPEG in Photoshop for example, it uncompresses and tells you the size beneath the image, or you can click on "image", "image size" to see the uncompressed size.

Once compressed, they can be anywhere between 7mb & 12mb depending on the quality setting you save at and the tonal range and detail in the image.

To get an uncompressed JPEG of 48mb you need an image of about 5,100 pixels on the longest side, so even with my D300 and its largest setting of 4,288 pixels on the longest side, I still need to interpolate them to get them to 5,100px and 48mb uncompressed.

I think you'd need a 16MP camera to get images meeting Alamy's requirements without doing any upsizing. It's absurd really because it's like they encourage you to upsize your images, which just add junk pixels to them. I think the idea is that it by giving clients larger images, it gives them more leeway with cropping.

Post subject: Re: Online Photo selling
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm 
tobywuk wrote:
Im just wondering if anyone uses or knows of any websites on the internet where you can sell your images?

Would make a good part time job to go out, take some photo's then sell them over the tinterweb.
If it helps you out, I have a web site so i can try to sell my photos my web is mystylephotography.lifepics.com if you go to ritzpix.com at the bottom of the page go to ritzpixpro then go from there.