Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:40 pm 

Perhaps I should make the symbols white, that might work better in print... Thanks for the suggestion! I'll see what works best!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 pm 

OK, made some more changes. Share your thoughts please! :)

Or...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:00 pm 

For some reson i like the second one better! 8) (don't no why :? )

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:45 pm 

I like the background scene of the second one better than the first. Also, the darker greens seem to match better with the text bottom-right. It is a matter of taste, but I would loose the umbrella (not the one in the logo).

Have you looked into the possibility to have the backside printed? For example, my business card has a blue-colored backside with a portion of the logo printed in large. Try orange and your umbrella ;). Just a suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:05 pm 

I like both in their ways. The use of a lighter bar is nice to accentuate the info there.

On the 1st, I'd consider cropping the grass slightly to remove the non-green bit on the bottom.

On 2nd, as a minor niggle, I'm not sure about "cutting" the bridge by the text bar. As a variation, how about ditching the vertical bar and place the contact info on a horizontal line under the orange?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 pm 

Thanks for the input guys!

I want to print the back with some social networking sites info (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, LinkedIn, Hyves (dutch equivalent of Facebook)), but making it orange with just the umbrella seems very nice too... Hmm, I'll see if I can combine the both of them!
I'll also see if I'll get rid of the umbrella next to my name. :wink:
I'll work on your remarks too popo. I'll try flipping the second picture to see if that works better, I'll stick with the vertical bar though.

Thanks again!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 am 

Bjorn

My thoughts, the basic idea is to sell your product and as stated on this forum before some will like a shot or card, some will not regardless of what you use.

What attracts you may not attract others, I did some research on what colours to use in my advertising material for software I developed. I looked around and found Mc Donald’s, Kentucky large stores used red and orange, a hot colours. Light blues and cool greens, in control colours for doctor’s chemist and profession offices. I think the colours in #1 are ok for me.

I suggest have a look around at others, how successful are they, perhaps have two cards, one for an age up to 30 or so and the other one for the rest. As a 20 year old I don’t remember getting turned on by grass, now I can appreciate it. As a business your aim is to attract anyone and I don’t think one size fits all. Will that card attract work from a pumped up 21 year old male wanting a photographer for his birthday.

As for your two cards, I prefer the first one but I would use the print “life is beautiful etc” on the second one, if it is the same font I would make it stand out more on the first one. The “life is beautiful” is a marketing phrase and implies saving the memories, I like it. Not to sure about the umbrella under lining your business name, it implies rain and gloom to me.

Large companies spend thousands of dollars on promoting their business, I read this week, some companies pay up to $50,000 just for a logo. As a photographer, you are an artist, now put your business hat on and forget about being an artist, your card will get you the work and then you can laugh and enjoy what you like doing.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 am 

Good improvements Bjorn. Have you tried a smaller font for the tag line at the bottom of the card? It's a little bit distracting from the picture behind it. I'd probably leave it on one line too but thats just my preference.

Having the back Alpha Orange with the white umbrella would work nicely, but I wouldn't put any text on the back (almost like a playing card style)

The links I'd also put on in small text on the face of the card, at the bottom centered and one line if possible.

The white transparency behind the details work quite well though, nice addition :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43 pm 

Made a couple of more changes, got rid of the second umbrella, adjusted the size of the "Life is beautfiful"-phrase, repositioned the contact info, designed a back for the card and renamed my "company". www.hbphotography.nl was already taken, so I had to go for www.hbprofoto.nl, so I reckon it's better to use that in my logo too...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:21 pm 

Much better Bjorn! Looking nice now.

Should be great when printed, well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 pm 

PhilDiggle wrote:
Much better Bjorn! Looking nice now.

Should be great when printed, well done!

+1! Very nice indeed :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 pm 

Thanks, wouldn't have gotten to that result without everybody's help here! Thanks you all!

If anyone has any further suggestions, please share them, if not, I'll order a batch on Tuesday/Wednesday... :)

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:37 pm 

Really nice Bjorn. I personally would align the text of the orange bar with the transparent box below.

Another minor thing: I think 'Fotograaf' is placed 1 pixel left from your name, while they were intended to be aligned perfectly (my guess).

Beside that, really good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:47 pm 

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed 'Fotograaf' wasn't properly alligned...
The text in the orange bar is at the same horizontal position as the text in the transparent box. Seemed to work best.

Thanks again!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:26 am 

Hi Bjorn,

On reflection I think my first comments may sound critical, that was never my intention. Unlike many others on this forum who have artistic skills as shown on the forum, I unfortunately don't and after many years in engineering I see things in squares and 45 degrees.

My work is business improvement and I looked at your post in this context. There again, that would depend on what services you want to supply, a broad band or a dedicated market, that was the background in my post and suggesting more than one card.

If a bride to be looking at business cards for a photographer, ask your self what will be appealing to her when she thinks weddings 24 hours a day, a good scenic shot or a luvy dufy couple in white on the card.

That's the square side of my brain taking over from the little artisic side but from looking at this forum and I say the artisic side is improving.

Cheers and Good Luck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next