Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Career in photography
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:37 am 
Hey everybody,

I am trying to get into a career of photography, I had been thinking about portraits but studio stuff really is not my thing, and something I had been thinking about was freelance or photojournalism. Does anybody have any ideas how to get started in that, and recommendations on equipment.

Thanks, Jordan M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm 
Press photography/photojournalism isn't easy. The best way is to start out young and aim for student newspapers and magazines to build up experience and the chance to create a portfolio. If you're past this stage, then look for local newspapers and start there. The key thing is to build up the experience before you start knocking on bigger things.

There are courses in photography that are recognised my the press in the UK. The NTCJ would be worth taking a look at, as well as the BPP.

With regards to equipment, start out with what you can afford, but stick to the big two - Nikon or Canon. You will find colleagues who may be using the same brands, and have a pool of equipment to share later on if the occasion arises. Once you are serious into a career, the investment in the best should be the way you're looking for. I've gone for the 70-200 VR Nikkor recently as that has use in low light assignments, or assignments where I can't get too close to my subject(s).

Freelancing is difficult and I'd rather not go into depth - the key thing is to get experience, get a portfolio, and get noticed.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:17 am 
Jordan wrote:
I had been thinking about portraits but studio stuff really is not my thing

I have been to several Photo studios in town and one of them realy loves my shots. she knows that I am "new" but she sees a way bigger picture (punn intended 8) ). she has some backround and knows people that she could hook me up with BUT before she does anything she would like me to work in her stuido for six months to a year to improve my skills then she will make the calls.

I also may have a hook up with a helicopter for a large golf corse to get overhead shots for them :shock: 8) 8)

In short, I don't think that I would rule out studio work just yet.
If I were you I would just start knocking on doors of every studios large and small and show examples of you best shots and see where it goes. hay it's working for me so far (look's around for large wooden table and knocks on it hard) :shock: 8) 8)

My next step is the local paper.

Nick