Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starting Out
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm 
So I have this new Pentax K-x.. and was wondering if I could get away with shooting a wedding with this type of camera?

I have some wonderful shots from over the years, everyone that's seen them so far have been amazed at the quality and like the way I frame the subject. People have poked and prodded me to shoot weddings.

Photography has always just been a hobby of mine for the past 5 or 6 years. Took a B&W class, and intro to photo back in college and fell in love with it. Started out with an old Pentax ME Super, and a couple lenses.

With that said, my questions are...

Would I be able to shoot for money later down the line with the K-x and get away with it?

How do I know I'm ready to shoot for money and how much do I charge?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D7000 when it releases... not sure if even that will be good for a wedding.

Please all, let me know your opinions / thoughts. I know there's tons of experience on these forums! :D

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 pm 

Mostly depends on your lenses, and how good you are as a photographer I guess. ;)
Some fast glass will be tremendously helpful inside the church though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 am 
The D7000 will be more than capable as a body to handle bumping up ISO if need be while shooting weddings in a wedding and such.

But kinda like how Citruspers said, you better attach some good glass to that body.

If you get a D3X with a 18-55mm kit lens..Don't expect to get much ya know lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 am 

What!! who on earth is shipping the D3x with a 18-55mm kit lens :roll: :wink:

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am 
LOL...Alan, it's a figure of speech. Which I'm hoping you understood the message I was sending across :P

If you take the most expensive camera on the Nikon line and put a low end piece of glass on it, well then you're not going to be getting AMAZING photos are you? Even if you know what you're doing :P

However, Mr. D3s *Which is what I'm going to be calling you from now on since I envy the fact you have one :P *

You're just being sarcastic so it's all good! haha

Cheers bud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:52 pm 

I think you can actually take pretty good wedding pictures with a K(x) and kitlens, as long as you have some creative vision and know how to work around your limitations. But, some fast glass will really help a lot. Plus, shallow depth of field is an extremely easy way to make nice pictures of the wedding rings :)

Post subject: Fast Glass?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 pm 
I appreciate all of the quick responses and advice. It is definitely helpful! What would you all suggest I slap on the Kx for an all around lens for weddings?

Thank you all again. You're all too kind!! :D