Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wedding, what gear?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm 
Hi all, need a bit of help here. I have to shoot my brothers friends sisters wedding on the 29th and need some gear.
I will be using my 500d, the 1d will be a backup as the battery is awful.
I think what i need to do is get the following:
Flash (430ex used)
Memory cards (few 2gb cards)
Batteries
A 50mm 1.8

And then rent the 10-22 3.5-4.5 and if money permits the 17-55mm f2.8

Or i might not buy the 50mm f1.8 and rent the 50mm f1.2 for about £44

Would that kit get me by ok? Im 16 and at school so funds are not great and the above is total blowout for me. And i dont think the wedding is paid, but its me shooting it or someone with a p&s. Its a great excuse to buy a flash though.lol

I am fairly sure what shots i want, the wide angle is essential, my 70-200 f4 will come in handy and a low light lense will be needed.

Would love to hear your opinions on this. Many Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:56 am 
First off, use the gear you're most comfortable with. You don't want to be faffing around with camera controls on the day, and you also don't want to be caught off-guard with the wrong lens on the camera.

For most of the wedding, my shots tend to be done with the 50-135mm lens (70- 200mm FX equivalent). I've found that range to be the most useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 am 

I know the 29th has come and went, but I have just stumbled upon the thread. In my opinion you checkout the venue and see what lens is gonna work best (preparation!!)

Here is what I have experienced on the job.

At the Brides home space tends to be tight, whilst I would like to use my 50mm practically it has to be the 24-70mm.

Later at the church for Bridal arrival light is never an issue so I just keep the 24-70mm on.

Whilst in the church light may be an issue therefore I have tried the 50mm and 24-70mm before the event starts to see whats best.

During the ceremony if light is an issue I will use the 50mm, but I have found the 70-200mm works just fine from the back of the church.

After the ceremony for the formal shots its the 50mm.

At the reception garden area, just hang back with the 70-200mm and catch those magic moments (hopefully)

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:17 am 

this is an interesting post as i have a wedding coming up and getting my gear together, its also great that alan gave a guide on what he would use when during the day, gives me an idea what would work best.

I'm taking to wedding..
Nikon D60
Kit lens 18-55mm
50mm 1.4 Prime
55-200mm 4-5.6
and SB-600

I'm hoping to be able to use the zoom for candid shots of people laughing before and after, 50mm for low light pics and the normal wedding photos after. and then the 18-55 for when bridge is getting ready if room is tight like alan said.