Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where to start
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 pm 
Hi,

Having just about finished college and through a bizzare chain of circumstances not managing to secure a uni placement, I'm gonna go for my ultimate dream and try to translate my Photography passion into a profession.

I've been checking the job centre website on the odd occasion that there's a position there - are there any other places that people would recommend to look for jobs? (not commission based if possible)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My dream would be to take photo's for a living so if anyone can help me accomplish my dream.... Cookies! :lol:

Oh and if anyone lives in the area you can come and see my end of year show at college if you like, although I must admit 80% of my course are slackers - Was our deadline today and 3 of us were finished.

www.jackmcintyre.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:05 pm 
Personally, If i couldn't get into uni i'd study a language.

To get a job at photography you might want to try wedding photography. Put adds in newspapers, magazines and maybe even churches if you can. But before you do that you might want to practice taking wedding pictures if you haven't already. If you take bad wedding pictures It's going to affect your name and consequently you'll have less work in the future. Not good.

You can try microstock photography on sites like shutterstock, istock photo, etc. It's not easy to make money on these sites and it's hard work but atleast you can work whenever you want.

If you are good with photoshop and live in a place with lots of old people you might want to offer a "Picture rejuvenation" service where you remove scratches, marks and other deteriorations on old photos and reprint them larger.

My best advice is to be creative and aim to be self employed rather than being employed. And obviously to put a lot of effort into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 pm 
The main reason I didn't get into Uni was because I was applying for a Graphic Design course with little to no (studied) graphic design experience. I'm more than well enough qualified, top top grades throughout my whole time at college, expected something rediculous like 450 UCAS points along with an A level.

OH and I hate languages. :lol:

Thanks for the advice, I might try some stock photography, could be kind of fun in a strange way!