Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:38 am 
Hi,
I am just a guy interested in photography. And I am an amateur. But, I take photos on trips and some of them are good. I would like to sell some photos. Not as a full-time occupation, but since I am clicking them anyways, why not make good use of them?
What is the best place to get a break? Like stock, magazines, etc? I would certainly love to see my photos in magazines, but I don't know the procedure. I also read some of you guys do 'assignments.' What is that exactly? How do you get people to offer you assignments?
Thanks in advance,
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 am 

I'm not a pro either and never plan on going that route but I have sold several pics and am doing my second assignment this summer....

As far as getting a break... for me it went like this...

1) Showed my pics to a lot of friends not for the purpose of selling but just to show them what I was up to.

2) A friend had a friend who worked for a newpaper for a section on wildlife which ran only a few times a month... He seen my pics and asked for a few shots of a specific animal.

3) When that ran I had an artist approach me for some pics of another animal which she used for a painting...

4) A magazine found this out and asked if I had any pics of another animal and I did.. out of around 200 they picked 2 for thier mag

5) That was it... have sold several pics here and there since then with some repeat business.

The artist that asked me for some pics originally now plans on doing a painting of another animal... Although rare I have gotten some good shots of this animal in the past and know its habits. She has asked me to go out on assignment for her to capture this animal in a natural setting behaving naturally.... this will be fairly easy cause it doesnt involve getting the perfect shot.. just shots of the animal in natural poses so she can duplicate muscle structure and poses. Its a 10 day outing all payed for by her... for me its a holiday in a setting I love doing what I love... and its free!

I know this isnt an approach if you are actively seeking to sell your photos but its how it worked for me. I still dont actively look to sell my pics and I dont think I ever will. It sure is nice getting a free vacation though one or 2 times a year :)

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 am 
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, Wolfsong. But, I also wanted to know where does a freelancer start? Like a gallery, stock, royalty photo selling or irritating magazine operators! Also, what is the "minimum" camera you need to get your photos in magazines? Would something like Canon 500d, or Nikon d5000 or Olympus e520/620 with Sigma and Zuiko branded lenses respectively be good enough? Are you supposed to edit your photos yourself or submit them as they are?
Thanks again,
Jinay.