Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: new website... CC??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 pm 
I'd love to know what you think of my new website.

Thanks!

Last edited by JB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:05 am 

great website, only thing i would change is the font of your sub headings.

i.e. services, prices etc

im half a sleep though so it might just be me looking at it awkwardly :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 am 
I suggest to put your contact info (phone/address/e-mail) and base location in the main page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 am 

It feels awkward to use up so much space with almost nothing, and keep the text in a really small box. Just doesn't feel efficient to me. ;)

The content part about god felt a bit..out of place on a photography website, but hey, I guess it's important to you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 pm 
I completely agree with citrus. It looks good but there's not enough space for the actual content, it's a little filled up by the layout stuff. And yes, relegion is quite out of place in a photography website :? It's important to you - fair enough, but I would imagine it can kinda put off some clients

Also I find the page pretty slow-loading. It feels like half an eternety until I can finally view the pictures at full size - and there is no forward/back stuff, so I have to close the pictures and click on each thumbnail seperately. It seems that your webserver just can't keep up with all that flash stuff which needs to load constantly.

In the kids section, the first 2 pictures are near identical - just that one's colored, the other one's B&W. Don't do that, just pick the better version and only show that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 pm 
i too am working on my site and your doing much better than i am. i like the look you have created. did you use a template or is this from scratch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 pm 

Last edited by Sublimity on Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 pm 
alright.

Last edited by JB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 am 
Thanks for the comments... most of them.

Last edited by JB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 am 

Last edited by JB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 am 
Site Admin

Right, I'm stepping in here. Unless there's been some editing going on, what's the problem?

JB asked for comments, and got some. Unless it's been edited, I don't see anything wrong with Sublimity's first post.

JB, you can't expect everyone to say positive things, and you shouldn't take negative feedback to be an attack - it's just someone's personal opinion. You can choose to act on it or not, but don't respond in such a personal way. This is how flame wars start and if you've read the rules of the forum you'll know we don't tolerate it.

I'm also annoyed I've had to waste my time moderating this thread when I should be writing reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:01 am 

Woah woah! both of you get your high horses..jeez.
And I'm just going to stop there. because what I had originally wrote was me attacking both of you (you know who you are) and it was very hypocritical for me to do.

Both of you are showing a very immature side with the attacks (and yes attacks start somewhere, but its not who started anything)

Let's calm it down though for real. I get where each is coming from.
K I get JB that you like his input and 1-6 are good but 7-8 and overkill and rude.

Sub. dude I get that 7-8 were rude, but you broke everything down further (7-8 maybe) but otherwise how ever he wants to be viewed is up to him.

And then bring in religion? I agree with separation of religion from church and state( and camera forums) I don't really have a problem with what JB said, but the whole
Quote:
having religion in the air.
do you know how rude that comes off as? "Having religion in the air?"

Anyway, I'm not attacking (I hope) just stating observations. C'mon lets keep it friendly, and pick a common enemy (you guys can both attack me, I'm used to it)

So what I think of the site:

Looks good, totally inefficient. FULLY CAPITAL WORDS are bad, especially in domain names.

As for the personal page, where all the arguing comes from. i see what you're trying to achieve, you wanna be the family guy who does some photography occasionally. And I think personally the first and last paragraphs are the best and should both be elaborated a bit, the others I get that professionalism isn't what you're after, but we're talking about peoples money here man. and I get you wanna be that nice guy who cares, but I think you can communicate it differently.

I think you're totally on the right track though.

Good luck

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:47 pm 
Sublimity wrote:
In response to you, Jake, "religion in the air" refers to the content in this topic. I'm not sure the what reference you or anyone makes that gives the phrase a negative connotation, but surely it was not my intention, so I apologize if it offended you.

I think the responses to JB's "Who we are" page that contains references to God have a rather negative tone towards it. Whether or not that is intentional, only the posters will know. My opinion on this is that it's really down to the photographer to decide how they want to describe themselves. If religion and God form a central piece of a person's identity, why on earth shouldn't they be allowed to list it? If Del LaGrace Volcano gets to flaunt his and then her sexuality about, why can't someone mention God if it's important to them? I think we're making mountains out of molehills here.

Having said that, I think the site could use a bit of work especially with regard to photo navigation. There's no easy way of scrolling and that IMHO is a big usability problem. I like the minimalist style though as it works great on a low res monitor like what you find on netbooks :)

Let's keep things civil and continue to make the Camera Labs forum community the best there is on the net.