Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:35 pm 
if it's part of the contract that you don't have ANY other DSLRs at an event...

...what do you do if the family ignores it anyway?

...i would've appreciated it if the other "pros" would've talked to me first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 pm 
that's pretty annoying isn't it? hehe.

For me I don't mind, but I'll say that, there is a chance that I will potentially miss some good shots if there are plenty other photographers blocking me / my view.

hopefully they will understand and back off a bit.

Enche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:13 pm 

I was the official photographer at an event, but was backed up by another one (we both got a set amount of money for the event.)
Maybe this sounds weird in some pro's eyes, but we chatted, compared pics, shared good spots to take pictures from and just had a good time in general.

You don't always have to be competitive (although we both rushed for some picture opportunities) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm 

I done a wedding where there was so much SLR kit it was unreal!!!

Dudes had 70-200 2.8's, 24-70's, damn they had practically the same kit i did!! Thing is, their KIDS! Yes KIDS! like 12 - 15, loads of them had 350D's 400D's - it was nuts.

And they didnt want to go in half the photos coz they all wanted to be taking photos!

Nutters i tell you.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm 

Yeah, I can't imagine someone having phoography as a hobby!

//end sarcasm ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 pm 
DD_nVidia wrote:
Dudes had 70-200 2.8's, 24-70's, damn they had practically the same kit i did!! Thing is, their KIDS! Yes KIDS! like 12 - 15, loads of them had 350D's 400D's - it was nuts.

"cough" parents money "cough" :lol:

Anyway that's crazy, their family must be crazy rich, how old were the guys who had 70-200 2.8's and 24-70's?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm 
i've been in events where i've had professionals show up, say high and we share contact info.

but when it's specifically mine and the venue is tight. I'll need the space and the people close by.

There were some instances when I needed a certain group of people but it would take forever because they'd be somewhere else with the other guy....

Also, come dinner time- i had a seat that was marked "photographer." guess who i found in my seat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 pm 
I discuss with the bride and groom and ask that they introduce me as the photographer to the event. With some formal recognition, people automatically back off. Sometimes they need reminding, to which I start with a chat like "cool camera you got there..." and then kindly tell them to back off, after a few sentences in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 am 

They were about late 20's early 30's.

It was just out of hand though really. They got in the way a lot, and were shooting over our shoulders constantly, which you can maybe take as a compliment now and again, but when you've got a bunch doing it all day, it's a tad frustrating.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
exactly. for certain events i like having a badge/ID so telling people to back off is easy. For events like this i wear a shirt that says VL Photography- but it normally isn't the case for weddings. The hardest part is really those stubborn "i can do better than the guy you hired"
people, the way I see it- if they ruin a shot, it was in the contract that no other photographers are allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 pm 
The worst is the aunt who barely knows how to use a point & shoot. She's always in your way/shot and her pictures turn out like crap anyway.

when i did a wedding last year i had the both of the bride and grooms families all lined up perfectly on a huge stair case... must have been 40+ people, anyway i had people standing in front of me trying to get a shot.... and where ever i went i had people following behind trying to get the same shot i got and if i need to take a step back it was impossible i couldn't squeeze my way through the paparazzi

and when your still just a teenager like i am people at events don't listen to you very well. they treat me like my pictures don't matter... when really its not me there hurting in the end its the bride and groom that end up with less impressive pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:22 pm 

I love that I only have to deal with an occasional branch or bullrush in the way.
They listen....well...they don't complain when they get stomped down or pushed outta the way :twisted:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm 

Tomis wrote:
The worst is the aunt who barely knows how to use a point & shoot. She's always in your way/shot and her pictures turn out like crap anyway.

Urgh, I hear you. All of the people at festivals and performances sticking their cell phone or P&S up in the sky, once almost scratching my lens! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:10 pm 
kpr wrote:
They listen....well...they don't complain when they get stomped down or pushed outta the way.

I agree. Do remember you are a professional at the event, not someone who has any other reasons for being there aside from photographing the subjects. Get friendly with the guests, and tell them you are the photographer. When they get shoved out of the way during a scene, they really have nothing to say for themselves.

Note however, this can hurt your social reputation as a photographer, to which you should do as much as you can to offset these effects (be friendly with the guests, with the couple, and show some amazing shots to say that it was worth it to shove the picnickers out of the way.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:51 pm 
Sorry, got to say this, at my brothers wedding they had a pro, and I was shooting too... the photographer told me that I had it all wrong (the camera was a 8 mega pix compact), well to let you know I did the perfect shot, cause he was too busy giving out his bizz card. the moral of this story, it's always being at the right place at the right time... But I do agree and understand if you're doing a job, and you got amateurs like myself shooting and flashing all the time, it's not helping...