Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC

After reading your post....
this is a GOOD idea 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
this is a BAD idea (please explain why) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Uploading Photos...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 pm 
I was currious if anyone knew of a website that allows a person to upload photos for me to share with random people, where they can view the photos but not have access to the original photo.

Here is an example of what I am thinking about doing:

I go to a neighborhood skate park and take pictures of those who are doing tricks and what not. I give them the website where they can go home and view the photos themselves. If they want to purchase a photo, they shoot me over an email, I order it for them and then send it to their house (I don't wnat them to be able to order/download the photo themselves).

Is there a web site that would allow me to do this, or would I have to create my own personal website?

Any feed back and or critisim would be much apprecitated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Some print ordering sites let you make galleries public and allow people to order prints of your photos, but obviously they're making the money from the prints. Can't you restrict the file downloads at flickr?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:06 pm 

Deviantart will allow you to do this. Well, not exactly, but it could make you money. I used to use Freeshare for image hosting but it seems they got shut down. There are loads of image hosting sites out there, lots of them free. There are also sites like Weebly which will allow you to create an on-line gallery for no cost. Smugmug are another who get good reports. Or you could just use Flickr and make sure you only upload either small res or lock the images (which doesn't really work too well, tbh).

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:22 pm 

Hi, congrats Zorro!
500th post :D
Just keep on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Hi, congrats Zorro!
500th post :D
Just keep on...

Thanks man, I hadn't noticed. I don't know whether to be chuffed or depressed, lol.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm 
To make a decent print, you need something like 3000 x 2000 pixels. If the images your prospective clients have to sample are something like 600 x 400, they can still examine the detail, but they won't be able to make a very good print.

There's no way to prevent an image from being saved, due to the way a system like Windows works.

I'd say low resolution samples are the way to go. Maybe with some sort of watermark, just to be on the safe side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:19 pm 
I've been looking at flickr since i read Gordon's post. I will check out some of those other sites as well. Thaks for the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:17 am 

I'd personally say - Watermark.

Use Photoshop or similar program, to create a watermark logo then set it as a patern on a transparent layer and set the patern to around 4-10% opacity.

Now really If I personally REALLY wanted to get the water mark of the fullsize image or whichever large size crop you use the water mark on, I could, but would it be woth my time, probably not; would the skaters, most tech people, or average joe know how to get the water mark off properly - no way.

Its a pretty simple process to get it off if you can replicate the watermark or get the opacity values used, but if you do some fancy stuff with applying overlayed gradients or render clouds to only effect the water mark layer, it would be a super pain to get it off.

Anyway, 50% crops with watermarks sounds reasonable to me with 6Mp or above, and if its 10Mp+, 33.3% Ccrops with watermarks.

As for uploading, Flickr! Easy to use, search etc. and its pretty well known.

They also do printing in the US, and have affiliates to do printing in other countries in the world too.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:39 am 

^What he said^

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:50 am 
I agree with Daniel, I think watermarks are the easiest solution. Irfanview can add watermarks to more than one photo at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Admin

(Oi Zorro, you should be chuffed mate!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 pm 

Can't remmember if i mentioned this...

Set up the whole photo import, watermark, and resize process as a batch/automated process, and macro it to your key, e.g. Control + Alt + Y or something that isn't used by photoshop or windows/OS X.

Personally I'm to lazy to even set up automated processes in photoshop, but I have done it before, pretty easy. I'll probably use them most for doing image borders or batch resizing, but if I do get into selling prints, i'll use it for watermarking aswell.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:25 pm 
Im gonna also say watermark the photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:34 pm 
Thanks! Being a newbie I figured out how to set up a batch process (or whatever the technical term may be) to resize, put in a watermark, and save the file as a JPEG, and then I upload those files to Flickr. This seems to be working pretty good for me.

I appreciate the help and advice that I receive on a consistent basis from Camera Labs.

Thanks!

P.S. My Canon 40D will arrive at my door tomorrow. Woo Hoo! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:07 pm 

Woo 40D!!! Me wants :shock:

Have fun with your camera, and be sure to post those shots :D

MY FLICKR!