Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Printing for clients...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:27 pm 

This is a bit of a duplicate post because i'm looking for more responses than i got in the printing area... (moderator, if you delete could you delete the older post in the printing area?)

I'm in the process of developing the business side of my photography doing portraits and such. I want to post available sizes and corresponding prices of prints on the website that I'm designing but dont want to until I figure out the best place to do my printing. And i want to do everything right from the beginning.

My question is, do most professionals who produce portrait prints for clients use services such as Snapfish or MPix? And do these sites produce prints that are excellent enough to do my images justice? (assume that my images are absolutely perfect). If not, what do you suggest?

And no, buying my own professional quality printer is not an option.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

It's all about expectations and budget. Online printing services can produce great-looking results, and many clients would be happy with them if the actual photograph itself was right.

Are there any pro labs nearby? I'd recommend checking out their services too and asking how they compare to consumer services. Generally, you'd hope for consistency and accuracy from a pro lab which may be lacking from a consumer one.

If your fees are lowish though, a consumer service would probably be fine.

Again, it's all about what your clients are expecting and how much they're paying.

Another factor to consider is the longevity of the print, as fading may not be acceptable for some clients. Again, ask the printer about this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:21 pm 

thanks gordon. I'm not sure about pro labs in my area. I'll definitely check.

i think my prices will definitely be in the "lowish enough" range. I'd like to be able to give/sell a dvd of all the pics and recommend a service like Mpix or Snapfish, but then offer to do the printing myself if they'd like a bit better quality. It'd cost them more and i would make a little more money, but i'd want to be able to offer a little better quality if they want to go that route.

Anyways, thanks!

I'd love to know what services some of our CL professionals use when printing for clients... maybe i should start a poll.