Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:12 pm 
How many professional wedding/portrait photographers carry and 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 in their bag? Is this a good lens to invest in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm 
I have no idea about weddings,but consider a F/1.4. Usually F/1.8 lenses,the very cheap ones,don't offer a very pleasing bokeh compared to their more expensive cousins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 pm 
Razvan wrote:
I have no idea about weddings,but consider a F/1.4. Usually F/1.8 lenses,the very cheap ones,don't offer a very pleasing bokeh compared to their more expensive cousins.

I am considering a Nikon 50mm f1.4 D for my D80 That is not a "cheap" lens, is it? I have played with it and really like it but the 50mm on a cropped sensor is kind of restricting. I was thinking about the 35mm f1.8 that was just released.

How is the bokeh unpleasing in the cheaper lenses? Are you talking about the circles in the background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 pm 
yes,I believe it's because the different style of aperture blades.
the 50mm f/1.4 has very small distorsions,unlike the 35mm. you might consider a fast wide lens,like the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8,especially for group shots. It has amazing optics & built for a resonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 am 
I dont know about wedding and pro stuff
but for me personally. I always carry my Noct-nikkor 58 f/1.2 in my bag. and at night i add my 35mm f/1.4
basically it all base on your need here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:44 pm 

All professional photographer's that have a good collection of gear carry a 50mm f/1.4. And since many also carry an 85mm for portraits, a 50mm on an APS-C/DX body makes sense (75mm in that case).

You should get the f/1.4 version though, even better in low light and as said before, better bokeh and sharpness as well.

A 50mm is high on my own wishlist, but I want to get a high quality standard zoom first, so decided I'd start saving for the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux