Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:33 pm 

I am working with a wedding photographer helping with the order's and such, and I need a program that can copy the list of file numbers the client has requested, paste them into the program or have the program read it from a spreadsheet or etc, and have the program search for the particular files in the folder that contains say 600 images, so that I can copy and paste those raw images them into the customers order folder for editing. At the moment I am having to click each individual file and there is a margin for error (if the customer has 185 images chosen, and I end up having copied and pasted 184, I have to go through the whole folder to find the image i missed). The way I am doing it right now really isn't feasible, and takes far too long. Surely there's a faster way to do this? Whether it involves a spreadsheet based program, java or otherwise, I really need a faster way of doing this. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Nikon D700, Nikon D80, Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S,Nikon 85mm 1.8D, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 35mm F2D, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-200VRII, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 300mm f2.8 AI IF ED, SB-800, SB-900. Noiseware pro,NIK Dfine, Nik Colour Effex, Nik Sharpener Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 pm 

You are aware of the fact that you can use the Ctrl-Key when clicking on files to select and deselect multiple files and the Shift-Key to select an adjacent range? If that's not enough try a decent file manager utility to select and copy files to a working directory.

You could take a look at Total Commander.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:54 am 

Cam-I-Am wrote:
You are aware of the fact that you can use the Ctrl-Key when clicking on files to select and deselect multiple files and the Shift-Key to select an adjacent range? If that's not enough try a decent file manager utility to select and copy files to a working directory.

You could take a look at Total Commander.

Ben

I'm sifting through 600+ images to return 100 selected images. It's not feasable for me to be holding down the control key and clicking each image. That's what I'm saying here.

Nikon D700, Nikon D80, Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S,Nikon 85mm 1.8D, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 35mm F2D, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-200VRII, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 300mm f2.8 AI IF ED, SB-800, SB-900. Noiseware pro,NIK Dfine, Nik Colour Effex, Nik Sharpener Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:29 am 

Hence my next suggestion. In TC you can not only select/deselect by right-clicking individual files or dragging across them but you can save selections to and load them from a file which is just a simple text file with a single file name on each line. So if you get the list in such a digital format or can easily convert it to such a list then you can have TC select these files. It's in the 'Mark' menu.

Very useful program.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:38 pm 

Hi there,
I'm also looking for a similar program to process orders.
My problem is that my files are all sorted in sub-directories (by sections of a 5-day long dance competition) and as there are about 160 sections, I have to use the basic search functions of windows - one at a time.

Would love to be able to just list all the file names in a spreadsheet (as Gregory mentioned), then run a program which would go through the list one by one automatically and collate all the files into a single directory, asking me/user to overwrite/append/skip for duplicate files.

Maybe there's a keen visual basic etc programmer out there who would want to give this fairly simple program a go?
I've adapted one to create a whole directory tree from a spreadsheet but it took a very long time to make!! Would be happy to share it with anyone who might find it useful.

Cheers,

Lutfi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:30 pm 

I use Total Commander everyday, and I can't live without it. Just saying.