Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 pm 

So I've got a job taking pictures at a wedding reception. It's for a photographer who's daughter is getting married and doesn't want to be taking pictures herself. So she said I could use all her equipment (I assumed her equipment would be far greater than mine because she was a "professional"). I was debriefed a bit about the job yesterday and found out that she has a 30d (a little outdated) and wants me to just keep one lens on the whole time.. the 17-85 (nothing special). I'm afraid I'm not going to have much flexibility. I'm tempted to ask her if I can have my own camera (XSi) on me as a second camera. I don't have tons of options for myself but I figured if I have her 17-85 then I could put my 55-250 on my XSi for the ability to zoom in further... or even my 50mm 1.8 for some creative flexibility. What do ya think?

I'll let ya know how it goes... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:38 am 

yes, i think it is a good idea to get a second or back-up camera handy. Don't forget to get one or two external flashes too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm 

JB wrote:
So I've got a job taking pictures at a wedding reception. It's for a photographer who's daughter is getting married and doesn't want to be taking pictures herself. So she said I could use all her equipment (I assumed her equipment would be far greater than mine because she was a "professional").

This is another illustration that a "professional" doesn't necessarily need high end equipment; it's the skill and creativity/personality that matter more.

Two bodies will help, and I would never cover an event without at least 2. Both will have different focal length of lens - therefore you may be better off with the 55-200, but because of the smaller aperture, your choice might lean toward the 50mm prime. Despite your impressions, the 17-85 is actually a good enough lens to offer flexibility in events. Other than lens choice, I think you have bigger problems that you need to yet consider. However, I wish you good luck.

PS - I don't think you could have been "debriefed" - a briefing maybe as the event has yet to happen. Debriefing is only after an event, but this is me being pedantic.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:26 pm 

good call on the "de"briefing. Briefing would have made more sense.

As far as two external flashes...I hear ya there too. Unfortunately I don't have a second and niether does she so I'm outta luck there (definitely no money to splurge on one at the moment either). Because of that I'll probably use the 50mm prime as the second lens choice at the indoor reception... either that or her 11-18 (I think tamron). I feel I am a bit limited by equipment.

Anyways I shot the "ceremony" this morning. It wasn't your traditional wedding... it was a mormon/LDS wedding so no one actually sees the ceremony...I just take pictures as they come out of the temple and then all the traditional poses with family and the bride and groom.

So did it go well?... hmmm... the lady who is the "professional" wanted me to shoot with the external flash firing every time. I understand that for some of the group portraits but not necessary for the candid/up close shots. I felt like for the most part the external flash was unneeded because it was perfectly light out and there weren't harsh shadows because it's a little overcast. I felt like it was perfect. And of course when I turned the flash on, faces were more washed out and it just didn't look as good. Lucky for her :) the battery died part of the way through and I acted like I hadn't noticed.

Also just a note... a couple times she took her camera to take some photos while I shot with my camera. When she handed it back it was in the fully automatic portrait style. This just goes to show how much this lady really knows. Correct me if I'm wrong but how many "professionals" shoot using the creative styles?? I didn't make a fuss... just switched it back. Its her daughter's wedding so I imagine she's a little stressed and I don't want to contribute to that. :)

I shoot the reception later on tonight... (i know its sort of a weird schedule). I'll let ya know how that goes too.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 am 

Please note that i am only a camera newbie but having someting to say.
Quote:
This just goes to show how much this lady really knows

I'm not a pro, but i know one (film camera thou) :wink:

you really think a pro is artistic one? :lol: they are pro with it cause its their profession :lol: (correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote:
When she handed it back it was in the fully automatic portrait style.

this is not unusual its because that's why its being there(its for us to use it), She just trust the auto mode' thats it'. :lol:

And I know some hobiest(a rich man thou) that having more styles of composition than a "PRO" what you call' because sometimes a pro is stucked in their styles or field on where they can earn money..... for example a sports photographer never needs a macro. :wink:

just my comment :wink:

My Blog!! http://loymercsclick.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 pm 

lomer18,
I get what you're saying about a professional being a professional because it simply is their profession. But, as far as a wedding photographer goes, ya - they'd better pretty artistic.

The fully automatic portrait style is there for the average consumer. I think the goal of every hobbyist/enthusiast who wants to use their dslr to its fullest extent hopes to reach the point where they dont use the fully automatic modes. Otherwise their dslr is really just a glorified point-and-shoot.

I was just surprised to see someone who makes a living as a wedding photographer using the fully automatic modes. Not that it can't be done, it just surprised me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm 

So I shot the reception saturday night after a 4 hour break since the ceremony (aloud me to change my sweaty shirt and take a short power nap).

It was very tough. It was indoors = bad light. I had her 30d with a 17-85, her external flash (which ran out of batteries halfway through and she didn't have enough spares), and my XSi with the 50mm 1.8. So I felt particularly limited. I was craving a 70-200 f2.8 by about 15 minutes into the reception.

There wasn't much to take pictures of... it was a pretty boring/uneventful celebration. I either took pictures of the greeting line or the bored attendents eating icecream at the sparsely populated tables. There was an awkardly positioned cake-cutting and bouquet toss that made for maybe two good shots and 3 slow dances on a poorly lit basketball gym floor.

So anyways, nothing spectacular but hopefully got some good pics. She said she'd give me all the shots I took with her camera, so I'll try to post some when I get em.

And she paid me $200.... so I'll do it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:15 am 

OK! good work i'm just smuttering newbie but well then congratulation i'd hope i can have experience like that!

:)

My Blog!! http://loymercsclick.blogspot.com/