Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm 
I got an e-mail the other day from a publishing company that is interested in using one of my photos for the cover of a book they plan on publishing. I have asked that I get a Cover photo credit in the notes section of the book and a copy or two of the book. However, at this point I have not discussed any compensation on a monetary level.

Is it worth to push for something even if this is the first time I've had a request like this? Right now I'm sort of the mind-set that I'm just happy that I've been considered for this and want to put my work out there for more exposure.

Also, is it customary to ask for some kind of note next to my name to indicate a website, company name or e-mail address for contact purposes? It's all a quite strange experience really and I'm unsure of what to do. Is it customary to sign some sort of release for the photo to ensure they cannot use for more than just this one book or something?

Anyone have experience with this or have any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:56 pm 

Depends, if they want to buy the photo you may lose rights to it. Make sure you keep your rights to the photo - they might not want the photo being used on other books. I wouldn't sell mine unless it was quite a lot of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:11 am 
I'd work out a deal with the editors

Let them use the photo for their cover in exchange have your name and contact info published. Btw magazines are more than happy to give the photographers credit somewhere in the book. Also always make sure you make it clear to editor that you still retain your rights (i.e. putting copyright info really small in a bottom corner somewhere).

Keep this in mind the easier you are on the editor, the higher the chances of them using your work in the future. It's OK to ask questions and ask for a copy of the book, etc.