Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Are my landscape shots good enough to sell?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nearly 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Am I good enough?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:34 am 

Ok so just sitting around over a glass of Pinot noir and was asked why don't I sell a few shots?

Answer is two part. 1 = I don't know how or rather where to..

And 2 = I am very much an amateur and whilst I like some of my shots I don't think they are that good enough to sell.

Can I therefore ask a couple of questions that have been asked a million times before...

Hence the poll.

Be honest and please critique me. I am a big boy and can take it.

The other question is where and how? Stock photos? Which site should i start with for example?

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

Post subject: Re: Am I good enough?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 am 

Quote:
why don't I sell a few shots?
The reply to this question is how many would you like to buy and what price would you pay?
If the person you are talking to says they do not want to buy any then they have answered themselves.

In broad terms you are good enough if anyone is willing to pay you for your images. I am sure there are some artists whose work you like and other you just don't get, this will cover all art forms, painting, music, photography etc etc.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm 

Good response. I hadn't thought of it like that.

I suppose if one person would then others are likely to.

I know 90% of my shots are average, but 5% are good and possibly 5% more are better still.

I'm not looking to make this a business but would still like to push the occasional photo out there, hence I thought stock sites ? Anyone have any experience with these ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:18 am 

I'm in the same spot buddy. I've got a couple of really good, a few more of good, and a lot of ok. Eventually, yes I would love to be a pro but I have a long way to go. I'm not jumping up and down to sell but on an Army salery with a baby boy on the way I can't get new gear. So, the wife and I have an agreement that anything I sell, I can keep that money just for me to go towards gear.

I only know 2 sites that you can sell from without paying a fee but I'm sure that effects my bottom dollar, deviantart.com and fineartamerica.com I settled on http://michael-carrigan.fineartamerica.com/ I also did a facebook and pintrest linked to the site http://pinterest.com/mcarriganphotos/ https://www.facebook.com/MCarriganPhotos The site does give me stats on visitors and I'm getting them but no sells yet.

Give it a shot and I wish you the best and if you make any progress keep us up to date.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 am 

I would probably say stock sites are not the best way to start, you are going to be up against a whole World of photographers and the sites can have very specific requirements.

If you use Flickr you already have the opportunity to let Getty Images use your work http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/

You are more likely to be able to sell your images if you can find some local custom, ask restaurants/cafes if they would show your work for a percentage on any sales made. Or if you do have a few people asking why don't you sell these, find out what format they would actually buy and how much they would pay. You can easily use the online photo processing services to produce anything from mugs, t-shirt to canvases and framed prints.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:34 am 

Great advice.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

I go along with just about everything keystrokesuk said and I think that you yourself have a fair idea as to what you have/can achieve.

A couple of enthusiasts I know have done exactly what keystrokesuk said wrt using Flickr and Getty Images. OK, They still do their 9-5 job and won't be retiring any time soon, but they are making sales! They have also got some of images printed and placed in a local shop (local images to start with), who (obviously) take a cut of any sales made, but again, they are making sales.

Have you had any of your best images printed up "professionally" to see for yourself what they would look like on someones wall?

Give it a go!

Pentax k-30 and k-x with DAL 18-55mm and DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 18-50mm and Camera Labs Straps.....hang on, where's my towel?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:06 pm 

You bet you are! Asking the question means you are already half way there. Dont hold back. Get yourself out there and sell. It is the selling that comes second.