Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:45 pm 

I am old fashioned enough to believe that you don't get ought for nought in this world (apart from friendship) and so have steered clear of sites such as Flickr.

I still don't understand how such sites finance such large amounts of storage with their free accounts - do you have to accept what would otherwise be considered spam in your mailbox?

I am hoping that forum members can use this new thread to offer reviews of their experiences with the various sites such as those detailed in Wikipedia.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:01 pm 

No, didn't get any spam from/through flickr. That's because you have to open an email account with yahoo first and don#t use your own email account. But even the Yahoo-inbox is quite.
I think they sell enough pro accounts to finance the <=100 limited-size free pics on the free accounts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:20 pm 

No spam here either. There is some clause somewhere in the terms & conditions which alludes to Flickr being able to use any image for commercial purposes though, or something like that. I don't particularly like that but to get around that I only upload reduced resolution images to my Pro account.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm 
Bob

I've had no spam, but one irritating by-product of flickring is that every now and then my web browser decides to display the 'Yahoo toolbar'.

I go to 'view' / 'toolbars' and untick Yahoo...but later it reappears for no apparent reason.

Don't know if this just happens to me...does anyone out there know a way to permanently disable this toolbar from popping up?

Tony

Post subject: Flickr drawbacks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:45 pm 

Thanks for the contributions so far. Any "non-Flickr" users out there?

FAO Tony,

Is it Internet Explorer that is providing the unwanted toolbar? Microsoft provides a knowledgebase article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303047 which may help. If you are using Firefox (and why wouldn't you?) then the Add-ons manager (Tools/Add-ons) allows add-ons to be disabled or uninstalled.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:48 pm 
I use photobucket and like it pretty much. Haven't read the terms & conditions though. But its always the same. no nudity so they cant be sued ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:51 pm 
Hi Bob I have a little bit of space on Flickr just the freebie bit but I mainly use Fotopic but pay for the space (£10 for the year) dont get any spam from either.

BTW in your signatue how did you get the text in Red... well sort of muddy brownie red LOL

Post subject: Fotopic and Photobucket
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:14 pm 

Thanks for the Fotopic and Photobucket suggestions.

Quote:
BTW in your signatue how did you get the text in Red... well sort of muddy brownie red LOL

This is done using BBCode tags to link to another web page. These can be enabled for use when you create your "signature" as well as in regular posts.

The BBCode Guide is at http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode and your specific question is answered at http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode#8.

A link to the guide is provided by the BBCode link under the Options header just left of the edit box where you compose new forum messages or edit your signature. Additionally, if you mouse over the BBCode buttons above the forum message edit box you will see a line of explanatory text between those buttons and the edit box.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:15 pm 

You could always join Caedes. I have an account there too.

http://www.caedes.net/

Zorro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 am 

Thanks Zorro. I hadn't heard of Caedes. Much nicer to hear user recommendations than try to sort through the hype.

Does anyone else have a photo storage site they would like to recommend and/or review?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 am 
I use Flickr for general sharing of photos but I recently started using Photobox.co.uk for ordering prints up (with which the quality and print options I was incredibly happy with) and they also offer a photo sharing service although I haven't used that side of it. The website seems pretty good to me and they finance the space by giving you a certain amount free and then with each order you place for prints, they give you extra space. It's quite a good idea really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:41 pm 
Bob

many thanks for the link to help rid me of the yahoo toolbar....I'm working on it.

I'm afraid it is Microsoft I'm using. I'd try Firefox but i'm petrified of changing anything on the PC while it kinda works ok! You see, not only am I a novice crappy snapper, but also a bit of a blank when it comes to computers (which is why I'm not really ready to get into post processing right now). :oops:

Hey, has anybody got any questions on carpentry? I'm your man!

cheers

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:04 pm 

Firefox, or any other browser, will happily run alongside Internet Explorer with no problems. Try installing Firefox and start using it on an occasional basis. It won't take you long to kiss I.E. goodbye, promise.

Zorro.

PS - You do it and have any problems, give us a shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am 
Go with firefox and deny Micro$oft another shareholder dollar !!!!

As to the original posting on photo hosting sites, if you are looking at one of the more artistic sites try http://www.deviantart.com and if you have the desire to sell your work on line , http://www.redbubble.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:14 am 
Based on the survey I just took - it came as a notification in Photoshop Elements - it looks like Adobe will have their own photo hosting site soon... it will be probably launched together with the new version of Elements (6) and I suppose it will be easy to manage directly from within Elements...

There is a stong possibility to get addresses like 'yourname.myadobe.com'...
No indication on types of accounts/fees though... (I suggested free ones :wink: )

Darrin