Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:07 pm 

Been on the lookout for a tripod for quite a while but most of them were either too expensive or not to my specs (light, portable, easy to set up, etc). Was out shopping with a friend when we came across the Digital Concepts 57" tripod. I was a bit sceptical about it at first since it was only selling for $29AUD but i asked to try it out there and it felt kinda sturdy so i just went ahead and bought it. So here is my review of my first tripod (thankful im not reviewing a monopod :D )

I've gotto say, I'm impressed. It's virtually everything i wanted and sturdy enough for my needs. Ok on to the review.

This is how it comes out of the box, with its own travel bag. When packed like this it is about 60cm long and weighs just a little over 1 kilo or as the stats say 2.2lbs which isn't that much of a hassel to carry around.
The materials used were some hard plastic(at least it felt hard) and the alloy used feels decently strong eventhough it is hollow to keep weight to a minimum.

Some features include a handy carrying handle with quick release type locks on the legs for speed of setting up.

Has a 3 way fluid pan head with 2 bubble levels and also a quick release feature to remove your camera from the tripod.

Extends from 22" when compressed and 57" when elongated. Here it is attached with my D80 and 18-135mm lens. The tripod has no problems or weight issues with this set up however i think it might be close to the weight limit(which wasn't stated). Confident you can fit a much larger lens, might try it with my 70-300 sigma when i get it but i wouldn't push my luck.

However you can use the gear elevator to further raise the camera as seen here. It rises to a level of approximately 5 feet 5. Please excuse the hot model behind the camera.

Tried some shots with the exposure time of 10seconds on a timer and the picture is dead on sharp. Would upload but i'm capped at the moment.

Here are some features as stated on the box of the tripod.

Here are some of the stated features as seen on the box.

Bubble level
3 way fluid pan head
Quick release mount
Gear level elevator
Center column brace and lock
3 section channel leg locks
Carry handle
Accessory hook
Adjustable rubber feet
Carrying bag
22inches compressed
57inches extended (more if used the gear elevator)

Interestingly there is also a 3 year warranty which i think is more of a gimmick. Who is gonna return a 29 dollar tripod for the warranty when the shipping cost is probably more than that.

I currently can't find any fault with the tripod as of 2 days of testing but i wouldnt expect too much from it, firm believer of you get what you pay for. Truth be told, i'll be happy if this tripod lasts 1/2 a year. Once this breaks i'll probably buy the same thing again.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm 

Looks like a decent tripod, for the price you pay for it so to speak! Thats not expensive at all! I been postponing my tripod buy for a very long time now, just find all this other stuff i want to get instead. And the list keeps on piling up!

Thanks alot for this review! Always great when people share their experiences with their products!

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm 

In reality for most tripods it isn't advisable to raise the centre column - it will be more a monopod than a tripod as you're balancing weight down one column rather than split over 3.

If you find your tripod is too light when it's windy, or if your camera makes it top heavy, then I've noticed there's a hook on the bottom of the centre column - hang your camera bag there to weigh down the tripod for extra stability.

All in all it's a bargain price for a tripod, and I hope that it assists your photography.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:34 pm 

Hey Alex and Photoj,
Glad you guys liked the review.

Photoj - Thanks for the tips, much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 am 

Just dont add to much or you might break it :P

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 am 

Hahaha yeah, but to be honest im really tempted to see how much weight it'll hold before losing stability or breaking hahahaha. so far all i've gotten is the d80 with the sigma 70-300 and it feels like its close to the limit hahaha