Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:15 pm 
:( :( :( :( :(
Without rancor but having just been nearly burned, here's the story fairly brief:

I want a Lumix TZ5A.
Broadway Photo lists the lowest price and with free shipping.
I'll insert hyperlinks into this posting form soon and clean up this text.
How I found them via google search

In a nutshell for now: adjudging by my one experience,
Broadway Photo is a bait and switch chum bucket place.

The order for a Panasonic Lumix TZ5A was placed online on Friday night.
This morning, Monday, comes an email from Broadway Photo requesting that I call them to "confirm my order".

The person who took my call proceeded to inquire
whether I'd like to "upgrade the camera to USA specs"
by buying a "2 hour battery" for $70 additional, "it's normally $120 :lol: )
Standard, the camera comes with a 15 minute-life demo battery".
And if I did pay for the good battery then they'd include a charger with USA type power plug
instead of Asian. Either way I'd be all set for foreign travel. I do not travel.

I said "cancel this order". But the guy kept on with his spiel.
And the verbiage just got more and more stupid. He pitched technical garbage like,
"As for your memory card, you need a special card. We have 2G cards right for this camera for just $80
You don't want larger cards because they slow the camera down."

I was in fear of their having already charged my card.
The only way I could think to shut him up and get off the line was
by repeatedly demanding to know, "have you charged my card?"
(he would not answer directly.
"But we can match any online price...."
(and so on and on)

My final words:
"Do not charge my card. This order is canceled."
I had to say that at least five times before the shill finally gave up.
"Alright." Click, he hung up.

I've now re-ordered my camera from another vendor, one recommended by this site.
I'll have the TZ5 on Wednesday. Therefore, I have not been harmed by this experience,
only :shock: educated.

Last edited by Reid Welch on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm 
Thanks for sharing this, might come in hand in the future for some people wanting to buy of them!

Its quite a shame that some companies work this way, what happend to costumers services? Thats why sometimes its wroth to spend the extra penny to get a good costumer service, Nikon Sweden is really great when it comes to that.

So what are you going to do now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:41 pm 
alex168 wrote:
So what are you going to do now?
I promptly ordered the camera from a Camera Labs-recommended dealer, Vanns.
They have the blue colour TZ5 I want, and for just over $300US it will be delivered here in two days time.

I'm happy that by luck, and by help from this site in particular, I avoided getting into an awful mess with a gray market, untruthful dealer.

As for my order with Vanns in Montana, USA: I did it by phone.
The clerk was clear, aboveboard, and did not try to sell me any nonsense.
He friendly and he is from Montana. My experience with folks there is all positive to date.
Confirmation email arrived before the phone order was finished.
A professional firm, I'll favour them again.
Email with altered order number and altered email for my protection:

Quote:
Your Vanns.com order has been approved.
The purpose of this email is to confirm that your Vanns.com order has been approved. If you have any questions about your order, please call our customer service team toll-free at 800-769-5668.
We need your feedback. Several of our partner sites allow us to collect reviews of your shopping experience with Vanns.com. It is very important for us to offer our customers the best possible experience. Click Here To Post A Review For Vanns.com!
Thank you for choosing Vanns.com - Since 1961 we have taken pride in offering a large selection of quality name brand products at competitive values and backed by people who care about our customers.
Order Date: Jun 2, 2008 12:46:32 PM
Order Number: 111242640190
Order Security Password: NleQg4V3
Order Email Address: reidwlch@netscrape.com
Shipping: 2nd Day Air
Customer Service Representative: MARK HELVESTON
SKU Description Price Qty Subtotal
495990 Panasonic DMC-TZ5A BLUE $279.98 1 $279.98
Subtotal: $279.98
Shipping: $20.90
Tax Subtotal: $0.00
Grand Total: $300.88
Adjustments: $0.00
Net Charges: $300.88

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 pm 

Hi Reid,

Thanks for sharing. If anybody else thinks they have found a fantastically good deal then it might be and idea to check the merchant out with

For instance, check out the Broadway Photo entry. :x

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
For instance, check out the Broadway Photo entry.
Bob.
Wow. Wow. Oww.
If I were braver I'd go there and add my story right away but those people are hoodlums with reach.

At least I lost nothing and gained a lesson, one useful to all readers here.

And to learn now from your link: Broadway is not only consistently crooked,
but also it operates under a variety of online storefront names....
It's a warning call to put out the word as well as we can.

Thank you Bob and Alex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 am 
:idea: for fun, if nothing better to do, Google this or any similar search term: "broadway photo fraud"

:wink:

(thanks Camera Labs!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Reid,

Thanks for sharing. If anybody else thinks they have found a fantastically good deal then it might be and idea to check the merchant out with

For instance, check out the Broadway Photo entry. :x

Bob.

I nearly got burned by Soniccameras.com before I bought my D80. I found that site that Bob linked and it saved me a big headache. I also used it to verify the site that I did buy from, and I am happy I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 pm 

I've been buying all my stuff from B&H Photo. They are a great company to deal with.

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm 

rogersjt wrote:
I've been buying all my stuff from B&H Photo. They are a great company to deal with.

And, for the benefit of new members, they are one of our affiliate stores. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Broadway Camera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm 
OMG I wish I would have stumbled across your review a few days ago. I ordered from HDCAMERAWORLD.com and had the same experience.

"The camera only comes with a demo battery, I'll sell you the long-life battery and throw in the charger," the :twisted: scheister says.

He kept on and on with the pitch, knocking down the price of the charger, throwing in this and that when really, if you buy the same merchandise from a reputable place, the accessories the scheister is "throwing in" and/or trying to charge me for are included with the camera straight from the manufactuer.

These people try to intimidate, confuse and fluster customers into agreeing to go along with their scams. I have purchased tons of things online and never had such an experience. I guess next time I will be a little more weary of "the best deal" :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 am 
Let's move this thread too, to "Buying a New Camera." (?)

I must now bold my type and pretend to schmooze, and speak as if for them (Broadway Photo)
for a bit of amazing yet true humour:

Dear Customers. Welcome to the Home Base of Broadway Photo dot com

"We peeps you troo dat hole in da cahdboahd"
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0006.htm

and here see the whole kit and kaboodle
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Last edited by Reid Welch on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am 
when I search for products using google shopping tool, I always check the seller reviews and look at how many reviews the store has. This as well as reseller ratings are the ways to stay safe. Also, a lot of brand sites list a 'where to buy from' as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:18 pm 
Wow, I can't believe their "business" is still running. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:26 pm 
OMG, sorry about that awful experience you had. Since a bad experience I had myself about 10 years ago in the dawning years of online shopping (age hadn't taught me yet that just because one's legit doesn't mean the rest of the world is) I always check out for previous customer's feedback, fortunately, there's many a place, as others have pointed out, where to look for that feedback.

Since then, I always keep saving my pennies for a little longer to buy from a reputable seller. And, of course, since I was introduced to this site, I use the links to Cameralab's affiliate stores when I buy from the States. I'm a long time client of Amazon and recently I also ordered from B&H, I've never had the slightest problem, on the contrary, my shopping experience have always been fantastic. A little pricier than some less reputable places? Perhaps, but I'm not going to put my sanity to the test just to save a few bucks.

Post subject: Quality Shops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:47 pm 
I have a friend who tried to buy a Canon 40D from one of those broadway photo clones. Man, did they try to sell him on all sorts of junk. It is a good thing there are forums like this one where people can look into shops and read about personal experiences.
Living in NYC I pretty much always go to B and H for my gear. However, it is always worth checking adorama as well. It is a very similar store, physically it is much smaller, but they have all the same stuff, and sometimes the prices are dramatically different. Also adorama has a more personal feel and is less intimidating than B and H.
Also, since B and H are pretty much the biggest and the best they often have contracts with companies to push their products. Sometimes, this correllates into cheap prices, i.e. I got my Oly e520 with 14-42mm kit lens for $559.00 the week it came out. Two days later, it was $700.00! On the negative side, it is clear that they have some sort of contract with lowepro to push only lowepro bags. Don't get me wrong, Lowepro makes great bags, but I really wanted the kata 3n1-20 (a great bag) and had to convince the salesperson at B and H to get one out of the warehouse for me to look at (not on display) and then had to argue with him a little as he was pushing the slingshot.
AbesofMaine is also a good place to check out!

Good Luck avoiding the scammers....