Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:20 pm 
Thanks for your review Melvin87. I can only add some more cons that you've not yet mentioned. It'll be obvious that I dislike this product. Benefits were hugely outweighed by negatives.

The "armor" slips from top to bottom of the camera, and there's a little rubber lip that wraps on the underside. This prevents a battery grip from being used. (NB - I would have advised you to get a battery grip if you found the D80 grip to be insufficient)

The lip also marginally obstructs the access to the battery compartment at the bottom. Not major, but a simple design flaw (it added to my impression that this was a badly thought out product).

Granted the cover over the hotshoe flash works without a flashgun. Problems begin when you have a flashgun there because you will have to pull back the rubber covering. This covering then blocks a clear path to your viewfinder.

The rubber is very prone to static and dust problems magnify. The tight fit to the body means that it will only help prevent scratches and won't shock-absorb.

Then there's the useless lens covering that blocks the threads for filter usage on lenses. You're better off using the original lens hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am 
Hey Photoj, i haven't run into most of the problems you mentioned but i can see what you mean't.

I was gonna get a battery grip at first but tried it out and it din't really fit my bag. Also i thought it was a bit expensive as the battery grip doesn't really do much other than what the camera already does. Changing batteries isn't really an issue however my point of views might change as i get more into photography.

Yea the hotshoe cover thing might really be irritating. Might just cut off the entire flap in the future.

I fully agree with the lens hood. It is just awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:41 pm 

Now that I have officially dropped my D80 (see my post here) I believe this cameraArmor is something I need to purchase. I've saved the camera from falling about... 7 times in the last 4 months at my desk job alone! However, number 8 actually landed. Last Sunday, the camera nearly tumbled out of the backpack I carried it in but I snatched it right before it entered a free fall...

:T

It's looking like a dream send...

Oh, and regarding the lens hood issue: New Lens Hood (@ 56 seconds) that may or may not improve it.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!