Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vivitar 285HV flash unit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:26 am 

I have yet to write the review, i am off on holiday soon, but here's the preview on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwmakT3VoCI

Anyone use this flash, what do you guys think, lets stir up the vivitar before I review it.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:25 am 
I find myself using it quite often. It's a great flash to have in your camera bag at all times. I use it for a lot of people shots, and nature shots. I think the Vivitar 285HV is a great flash unit to have. It's cheaper, built-well, and offers quite the flexibility. I'm on my second unit as the first one was dropped and broken. It's a nice little manual flash. The exposure chart works well and is quite accurate depending on how you read it.

After many years of being used to that flash, I pretty much can estimate what power level to use. Typically when shooting f/5.6, being 3-5 feet away, it's 1/16th power according to the chart, and that works great.

You could argue that it's not as "nice" as the newer flash units, but it's a great flash to start, and even use professionally. I have it along with a Quantum Battery 1 pack, and it's a great combination for portrait work, studio work, and etc'.

Have fun with it!
Best,
-Sean.