Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:18 am 
Hi Everyone. Here are my first impressions and some pictures of my new tripod, GITZO GT1931 Basalt Sport Series and the Vanguard SBH-200 Ball Head.

I just got this tripod TODAY in the mail for my B-Day. I thought I would do a quick review of my first impressions with this tripod. Since I have owned the Ball Head for a while it will not be a first impression but rather an overview of my experience with it.

Here are some specs before we get into the pictures and impressions.

GITZO GT1931 Basalt Sport Series Specs

Attachment: 1/4" and 3/8" screws attachment type
Center column: rapid
Closed length: 25.59 in
Leg angles: 24°. 60°
Leg sections: 3 number
Load capacity: 15.43 lbs
Material: basalt
Maximum height: 66.14 in
Maximum height (column down): 53.54 in
Minimum height: 13.39 in
Series: 1
Weight: 3.09 lbs

I want to start by saying this tripod is built like a tank but as light as a feather...3lbs! When I picked up the tripod the first thing I noticed is how light it was. Even though it was light the tripod felt very sturdy and built well. Besides it being so light, the best feature that I love about this tripod is the Twisting G-Lock leg extenders. These leg extenders feel so smooth and are complimented with rubber that allows for easy grip while adjusting the length of the legs. I was also very impressed by the angles at which the legs could move. This tripod can get low! It was also reassuring that the legs required a little force to change the leg angles. Some tripods take a lot of force to move the legs to different angles and some take barely any, this tripod has the perfect force. Everything that I expected from a Gitzo Tripod and more. Overall I am very satisfied with the feel and the features and can't wait to take it on the trail and test it's durability.

Vanguard SBH-200 Ball Head Specs

Type ball head
Weight (kg) 0.59 kg
Tilting range (degrees) +90°/-35°
Panning range (degrees) 360°
Plate type QS-41 and QS-43 quick shoes
Maximum load capacity (kg) 18 kg
Material magnesium

I am very pleased with this ball head. I haven’t had any problems with this product. The adjustment knobs are very smooth and accurate, as is the actual ball head. I also like the matte rough finish, which feels very durable and scratch resistant. The reason that I don’t have a Gitzo ball head is I really don’t see much of a difference in this Vanguard ball head and the Gitzo ball heads. This Vanguard ball head is just as smooth, 3 times cheaper, and can hold more weight 44lbs!

On to the visuals: Here is the Tripod with the Ball Head attached and the bag that came with it.

Center column and leg-angle adjusters

This is the Tripod and Ball Head minimum height without the legs extended.

Center view. You will also notice rubber on the knobs, which is very nice and grips well.

These are the AWESOME Twisting G-Lock leg extenders. Fast, durable, and weather resistant.

Tripod is as Low as it can go. As you can see, you have to extend the center column to its maximum height get this low.

Vanguard Ball Head with Two levels and three adjustment knobs.

Closer look while the camera is tilted at a different angle

Tripod extended at different leg angles. Very versatile and very sturdy, even when extended.

Close up of center column leg angles

Overall this Gitzo Tripod and Vanguard Ball Head make a great couple

Both products have:

*Durability
*Strength
*Smoothness
*Very light and Compact
*More than enough features

So far I am very pleased with this Gitzo Tripod and Ball Head. I am very excited to take this setup out in the field and know that it won’t let me down.

Thank you for reading this. Please comment or send a message if you have any other questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:13 am 

Thanks for the review! How much was it! I have been looking for a new tripod!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 am 
You can get them at Adorama for $349. I got mine on amazon and paid a few dollars more. On eBay they are selling for $440. Other than that Adorama is the only place I could find it that cheap.

http://www.adorama.com/GZGT1931.html

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 am 

Wow! Thats a hefty amount! I knew I should have gotten into a cheaper hobby! Haha! Oh well! sometimes the price is worth it! Thanks for the link! :)

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 am 

Hi MNstorm,

Nice one. You've joined a small, but select, band of tripod reviewers. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:35 pm 
It is a hefty amount :? The reason I chose the high quality Gitzo brand is because I use a tripod almost every shot. I shoot mostly landscapes in cold weather and also like to hike. I needed a durable, long lasting, and reliable tripod that can take the harsh weather and rough terrain. So I decided I would get a nice Gitzo in the beginning and wouldn't have to keep replacing a lower quality tripod. In the end you will have to replace a cheaper tripod, and it will eventually add up to that really nice tripod you have always wanted. Why not save the time and hassle. Just my opinion.

I also can say this since it was a B-Day present and I didn't pay with my wallet :D

When I mean cheaper tripod I am not saying manfrotto, vanguard, slik, giottos, etc.

FYI: Almost positive that Manfrotto owns the rights to Gitzo. The Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods use the Gitzo's old carbon fiber. The Manfrotto tripod is a great alternative to a Gitzo. Just what your willing to pay.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:49 pm 

THANKS! As of right now i have a cheap one and being that I am a college student I will just stick to the one I have now. However, I am thinking maybe when i graduate and start my life up a little more then I will choose something like this!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 pm 
The Manfrotto 055XPROB is a very popular tripod. I messed with it in the store and I can say that it is a very nice tripod. A more reasonable price too :lol:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... lack_.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm 

Cool! Thanks for the link! And 180 is a much easier price to swallow Haha!!!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr