Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 am 

Just recieved this item today and gave it a runthrough...

Those into outdoor/nature photography would find this cover very useful when out in the rain and still wanting to shoot. I would also think it would be a valuable tool for those in small boats prone to wave splashes and wakes.

For those not familiar with this item its a rain cover for your camera and lens letting you shoot in a downpour.

It is extremely well constructed and has a good design with both left and right hand access. Once the cover is on you have access to all vital functions of the camera and lens. The only area I found awkward to access was the lower left corner of the back of the camera panel but it is accessable. All other areas are easily accessed with no effort at all. It has a clear back panel as well as clear top panel giving you a view of your LCD screens both on the back and on the top of the camera. In the case of the 50D the rear LCD screen is a bit covered but nothing drastic in my opinion.

Getting the cover on takes a few minutes, at least for the few attempts I made but I would imagine once one is used to putting it on it could be done within 1 minute.

The eye piece is bought seperately and you need to remove the eye piece on the camera to install this eye piece. Once its on there is a hole in the back of the cover which is surrounded by stretchable neoprene which secures snuggly around the eye piece making for a water tight fit. It also has an additional flap that comes down to cover the eye piece when you are not taking pics. The flap is secured up with velcro when shooting so its quick and easy.

I had my 100-400 lens on my 50D and the fit seemed perfect when the lens was fully extended with not a lot of extra material to get in your way.

The sealing mechanism around the lens hood is velcro and the contact material which touches the hood is a nonslip material which seems to serve the function well.

With the 100-400 lens attached I did find it awkward to attach the lens securing strip inside the cover as the 50D body along with the 100-400 lens didnt allow for, in my opinion, a proper fit. This securing strip is there so that the neck strap attached to the outside of the hydrophobia holds the camera and lens securely while inside the cover and hung around your neck. I decided to remove the outside strap as I wouldnt use it anyways so this allows me not to worry bout using the securing strip inside the cover. Instead I have a Black Rapid strap which connects to the camera where you attach your tripod. This allows me to keep the black rapid strap attached and have it exit the cover where the tripod is ment to go in as well as your left hand. I then snug that opening with the drawstring and you have a decent seal, but the odd drop of water may get in, with the camera slung on your side as it would be with the Black Rapid strap. It takes a second to open the opening to get your hand in where the strap exits but nothing to worry about as far as length of time goes.

What I am looking to make is a little neoprene cone that I can snuggly slip onto the black rapid strap and then have the cone sit over the minute opening left where my strap exits the cover... an easy solution and it will eliminate the small chance of water drops getting into the cover.

Along with this it comes with an attached lens hood cover to stop rain from getting into the lenshood and onto the lens cap or glass when just carrying the camera. It attaches really quickly and comes off even faster for quick shooting. With it on your camera is pretty well sealed from all rain unless as mentioned above you use the black rapid strap idea I mentioned which may allow the odd drop of water in maybe. If you use the system as intended by Think Tank your camera is 100% protected.... I just dont care for the neck strap option supplied with it.

The only potential issue I can see with this cover is under hot and humid conditions... depending on how much you perspire you might get sweat drops inside the cover if you have your hands inside and shooting for a long period of time.

Also the time it takes to put it on... even if you can put it on in under one minute, which should be doable, I dont think you want to be fumbling with it in a downpour unless under some kind of cover... even minimal cover would work.

They do make a larger version of this meant to fit primes in the 300 to 600 range.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 pm 
Could you please post a photo of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 pm 

Another request for pics here.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. All those words were getting somewhat tricky to visualise...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm 

here's a link to the product... all the pics on this page, including the ones listed under features, are expandable...

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... cover.aspx

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr