Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:54 pm 

Bonjour,

I'm back with this new user review :wink:

The battery grip is usually recommended for portait shooting and for enhanced handling even in landscape mode, as well as for extended autonomy.

But one of the key feature of the Pentax K-7 is its compactness. And this comes at a price: the camera body could be too short for large or even medium-sized hands. So the battery grip is worth considering.

At first, I didn't want to spend extra money on a grip, but after playing for a while the K-7 for a while, it became obvious the grip was a must.

The grip shares the same nice plastic and metal cover, with dust- and water-sealing just as the Pentax K-7.

Pros
  • The BG4 grip fits perfectly on the K-7, with the same water-proof protection
  • The real benefit is for portrait pictures. The camera fits firmly at hand and all the controls are available at the right place under the fingers: shutter, depth of field preview, front and rear dials, green button, +/- compensation, AE-L button.
  • Nice feature, the grip controls could be switched off and on, avoiding unwanted pictures.
  • Even in landscape mode, the grip provides extra stability. I was somehow surprised by this feature, making the use of the camera with the grip even nicer.
  • The special tray for standard AA battery is a real opportunity for savings and safety.
Cons
  • The tripod mount is no longer centered on the axis of the lens.
  • Replacement of the battery inside the K-7 needs to detach the grip, change the K-7 battery, attach the grip.
  • The K-7 plus the BG4 appears bulkier and heavier, and requires a bigger camera bag.
Wrap-up
  • Once again, ergonomics play an important role. The grip provides extra stability, on both portrait and landscape mode.
  • Second battery, wireless IR remote are not included, so consider extra spending for the full kit.
  • AA batteries provide saving and safety.

More details and pictures available :arrow: here. Enjoy :)