Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sony W110 -- 1st day
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 am 

£80 down from 200 (TESCOS instore) + (4GB £40 Comet-- 49min or 1294[7M]shots)

After chasing my tail I've grabbed the Sony W110 with a 4GB card.

Its quick and easy to use. Quick and easy to move from play/controls to shoot mode.

Close-to photos are good. In good light pixel level is nice. Need a better day for teleshots, although I suspect its a tad myopic in this regard.

It is a little small for my hands. OVF is fiddly too but good stand in. If you add a carry case you can see why its small.

Shuttle button lacks solid "click" feel. Activated shutter bleep.

Video does a decent job. Audio is good but has digital tang. Audio capture is good: quiet/wind. MPG(I) can be edited in XP Windows Movie Maker need to test Vista. --looks mediocre on youtube. (camtasia or vegas handle files better)

The CD software is nice and intelligent, it will grab the latest photos off your camera and stick them in a folder based on date. Very handy if you snap 4GB worth. You can also use it as a manual usb.-- it needs to be on, so best turn it on, then plug it in. Else it will do press ups.

Smile detection works although it has limited range. Face detection is ok. I can see why they have "easy auto" because you are far more likely to snap shots and forget which mode you are in.

P mode allows stuff like spot focus/metering, EV etc. I'll have to experiment as it tends to turn whites brighter than they are.

Conclusion
I think slim-compacts have inherent limitations. Its a decent happy snapper, don't expect the earth.

50% Overall (Compact 81%)

I guess you are paying for processor speed. I'm sure they could make the perfect cameras, but no one would be prepared to pay the price.

Buyer Recommendations
I'd say anti-shake for this size cameras is important. This is the low budget model so it lacks anti-shake and pana-stitch mode.

Fault/s
Bottom sliver panel near usb does move when pressed in, might try tightening it.

Annoyances
Full charge is normal charge(LED goes out) + 1 hour guess time.
Focus speed does vary, although lightening fast to good ain't bad.
Slideshow with music has dedicated button...?
"Display" has various setting, I would prefer, LCD on/off :P
Shuttle button isn't 100%, needs bleep so you are sure.
Battery lock is fiddly
Lens rattles in vertical axis
USB connector heavy for a compact