Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 pm 

Today I put the Nikon 18-200 VR with attached Canon 500D close-up filter on a tripod and did some comparative test-shots on my usual Siemens star target against the Sigma 150/2.8 which is an excellent macro lens.
I only tested the Nikon at 200mm as this gives you the greatest magnification of 1:2.5 and adjusted the Sigma accordingly to the same magnification.
As I already wrote, at these magnifications a Siemens star test-target printed on my ink-jet is not really sufficient to use in the normal way. But at least you can have a view at the single ink-blots and judge sharpness. And fortunately I found a small hair clinging to my test-target that has a much finer structure than the ink-blots. Enjoy!

On the left you see a 100% crop of the Nikon 18-200 VR at 200mm f/8.0 with Canon 500D close-up filter. Magnification is 1:2,5.

On the right you see the Sigma 150/2.8 at f/4.0 and same magnification.

From the first images we can conclude, that the combo with the close-up filter looks even a little better than the original macro lens. But that is due to some adverse conditions in this shot for the true macro (a little shake plus perhaps sub-optimal focus. But it is a clear indicator that the close-up filter does not visibly deteriorate the IQ of the lens.
The second row should be more of a "true" comparison. The combo with the super-zoom showing weaker contrast than the true macro.

As soon as I get the new Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II I'll post some test-shots with the close-up filter attached. But from what I've seen today the quality of the Canon 500D confirms its excellent reputation!

Feel free to post images here that can show the image quality of your close-up filter (only 100% crops!). And don't forget to post which lens and filter you were using at which aperture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:21 am 
Degradation will happen with most of the filters out there, thats why they have this fame of being crap... but on a good one like the canon you tested...
I have a raynox DCR250 and never noticed image degradation, didnt used much on the DSLR since mine is very recent but will post some examples later
My first telephoto, the 70-300 IS arrived yesterday (pretending to do a mini review) and I tested some macros with the close-up today, it must bring it around 2:1 and again the quality is great even not being a pro zoom
at 300mm I can see chromatic aberration pretty much everywhere with the close-up, but up to 200mm everything is fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:36 am 
From this morning testing the 70-300 IS, default RAW settings
both with the DCR250, on the XSi

@140mm F14 ISO400

@140mm F13 ISO400

one with the 50mm 1.8
F11 ISO400

From this weekend in the field, equipment not mine, shot with the XSi of a friend
Canon 55-250 IS @116mm F18 ISO400
Raynox DCR150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:07 pm 
Canon 18-55 5.6 IS at 55mm with the DCR250
its better than I expected for being the kit lens, I cant notice worst IQ compared to the 50mm prime... and has the advantage of controlling the magnification through zoom. I gonna start using this lens more for macro than the 50mm with tubes, since there isnt light loss here