Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm 
Sorry if it's in the wrong section was unsure if it was review section or flash.

I recently bought on Amazon.co.uk a bundle light stand kit comprising of a light stand, flash bracket and umbrella for my flash which I thought id review if anyone was looking at the same. I bought it mainly to give me more flexibility with off camera flash and portraits, the links for the items are below.
I have been using it with my 430EX II and cactus V4’s.

Light stand:
The light stand was cheap at £11 a and includes a bag, it isn’t the greatest of build quality you would expect from the Manfrotto equivalent (the Nano I think), it’s made from metal but has plastic clips for securing the extension of the sections, I don’t think it would hold studio lights but I haven’t any to test . It has a metal ¼ inch thread on the top and a plastic cap that screws on; this is for when it is in the bag to stop it making a whole in the corner. It extends to about 6ft. Overall it’s great for the price and holds my set up easily, it is slightly top heavy when set up though, which is fine in doors but outside it needs some weight at the bottom, the camera bag does the job :).

Flash bracket:
When I first ordered the bundle I got the flash shoe bracket they recommended in the bundle as it had ok reviews, I thought it’s cheap so I wasn’t expecting anything great, but I would not recommend it to anyone, complete waste of money. The top had no way of securing my flash trigger and speedlite combination, just a channel which it did not fit into and had no tripod thread on the bottom just a screw clamp; I did manage to bodge it to fit my cactus V4’s by using tape but it was not risking it. As a result I have now bought the Manfrotto 026 swivel bracket for £20 which is just right; metal in construction and has interchangeable ¼ and ¾ inch threads, meaning it can be mounted on a tripod as well. The only downside I can see is the weight it is heavy.

Umbrella:
The umbrella is good, it’s not the best quality but for £8 it does the job fine, now I look at it the two in one umbrella’s would be better value. It’s a cheap and cheerful umbrella but as a first time kit I would recommend it and works well both diffusing and bouncing. It came in a cardboard tube which I can’t guarantee is standard delivery but is useful for storage and keeping it clean.

Overall I would recommend the three (not the third party flash shoe holder) as a good starter off camera strobe kit for someone.

Light stand:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-Lig ... 92&sr=8-16
Manfrotto Bracket:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-026-S ... rid_pt_1_1
Umbrella:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... oh_product

Hope this helps,

Last edited by JHM on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:57 pm 

Hi JHM,

thanks for your review. In my oppinion some pictures would have been nice :).
But anyway, i still like your review because i was thinking about getting a cheap strobe kit myself and there your review helps finding a decision !

greetings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 pm 
Thanks, glad its helped, ill try to get some pictures this weekend, but I have another A Level exam coming up so I don't have much time at the moment :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 pm 
I have had a chance to take some pictures, however I could only upload four on my flickr :( monthly limit is no longer.
Hope they help,

Light stand (collapsed fully down but not folded)

1/4 Inch thread on the top

The interchangeable thread sizes, 1/4 and 3/4 inch on the manfrotto bracket

Flash on full power with the umbrella