Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lowepro Off Trail 1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:20 am 
Greetings!

Whole last month I’m planning buying camera bag. There’s a plenty of bags on market and they are all in most cases very good, especially if U buying a brand. My problem was how to satisfied all my needs, which are casual walking around and shooting, hiking and bike riding. Up to few days ago my first choice was Lowepro Sling shot AW200. I read excellent review here on CLF and was pretty shore this is it. But, when I come to store I’ve hit my eye on something else. I am talking about Lowepro Off trail 1 beltpack.
Yes, my choice is end up with Off Trail 1. Bag is just perfect when comes down to my joys of life, and I’m pretty shore that there are some more people who are in hiking-biking stuff. All of my observations are based on price, which is around 27 euro. I know that this bag can’t be in the same class with hi-end professional bags, but when comes down to price it offers very much.

Build quality!
Excellent! But, on the other side, I didn’t expect less from Lowepro. Bag is very solid, zippers are strong, even do plastic, but very easy to close/opet. As well as from outside, bag is excellent build and from the inside. Inside material is very good, so there is no chance of damaging camera in any way.

Ergonomics/space
Great, again. Carrying bag around is like melody. If U adjust the belt in right way, U will not even notice that U carrying it. Taking off and on very simple and easy.
When speaking of space I’ll say that there is plenty of it, but U must be careful though. My 400D suits in just perfectly, but some bigger camera…, I’m not to shore. Let say it this way. There is no way that U put in 400D with battery grip. So, it is perfect for smaller cameras like 400D, Oly410, etc. Space for lens is enough, but if U have some very big zooms, cloud be a problems. In that case U`ll have to carrying lens separately (bags comes with two lens pockets and they can be removed if U don use it). If u have something like 17-85mm it suits in with no problem (based on 400D body).

In conclusion
I just love it. It is great feeling to be on bike, stop, unzip bag, take a shot, all in few seconds. With this bag U have always free hands and nothing on your shoulders, so again great stuff for bike, because U don’t sweat that much:). One thing that I done is take off neck strap. I know, it is not smart thing to do, but this bag is always attached to me, so when I don’t shot, it is easily to put camera in bag where is safe from falling.

One more thing what I want to comment are this camera holders. One supports camera grip and this is just fine. What bothers me is second one. It comes under lens remove button, so when I carry camera this button is a bit pressed do to cameras own weight. Just wandering is there any chance to get damage something in that lens remove system and button, or is it ok…?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:44 pm 
Hi! That's a beautiful camera bag, thanks for the pics.

As for what you say about the button pressed under the camera's own weight... Are you absolutely sure that is happening? I mean, most (if not all) dSLRs carry that button the same way and in the same place, I have expressely checked this with the D40 inside my Slingshot 200 AW and the lens release button just slides into the lens "room" and it's not pressed in any way. Perhaps those camera holders are closer to each other in your bag...

I'd be surprised that a bag made specifically for carrying dSLRs would damage the camera in any way by just storing it inside, but keeping a button pressed during long periods of time definitively shortens its life by subjeting the spring inside to a continous and innecesary stress. Be careful about it, the more if you use the bag, as you said, while biking, hiking... it's not a very likely scenario, but at some point the button could be fully pressed and the lens released, with the inherent risk of damage.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:02 pm 
Those supports can be removed and placed in various positions based on various cameras and they body shapes. Sling Shot 200 AW carries camera in different position comparing too off trail 1, so in 200 AW there is no chance for button to be pressed in any way. In off trail 1 camera is “hanging” by those two supports and because of that button is pressed by cretin amount of force which came out from cameras own weight.
Agree with you about potential damage to spring inside of button. Alternative is removing those supports from bag so that camera slips into the bag for the very bottom of it. In that case I’ve got supporting whole camera on lens. This also doesn’t smells good. I thing I’ll carry on with this supports for now, but I must find some better way for this button stuff in the future!

Thank you for comment and advice!
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:13 pm 
how about a pic it actually on you?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:04 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: i have see this pic on ebay i dont think they are yours nevermind :wink: i still love my bag the slingshot 200aw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:21 pm 
erm maybe the person on ebay took his pictures and used them? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:47 pm 
f_hidri wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: i have see this pic on ebay i dont think they are yours nevermind :wink: i still love my bag the slingshot 200aw

Very wrong my friend! Those are my pics and it is not right when U saying something what U are not shore in.

Cheers!

Last edited by Drazen Gal on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 am 
Site Admin

In Drazen Gal's defence, it's very easy for images to end up being 'used' for ebay descriptions, especially if they're also indexed on google images. We've found many of our product photos and even some video tours being used on ebay!