Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:02 am 

Alright so a few days ago, I purchased the Indruo ABOAdventure Series tripod, and I guess looking back now I didn't put a video up (check back tomorrow.)But this is going to be my short little review of the tripod.

The first thing I'm going to say is if you're like 6ft+ tall, this might not be the tripod for you. It's got a maximum height of 56.9" (144.5cm) and I'm not that short, so it's a bit short for me, but with the battery grip, it's no biggie. It's got a load capacity of 10.3 lbs (4.7kg) now to put that in perspective: the 40D with 28-135mm weights in at 1.6lbs (740g) if I'm not mistaken, and the grip is just under a pound at 10.2 ounces(290g) so we're talking a mere 2.2lbs(1.03kg) with grip and lens so that leaves us with around 8lbs(3.67kg) to play with and to give more perspective the 70-200 f/2.8 IS weighs in at 3.5lbs, So you can do a bit.

Now that's a lot of quantitative stuff, but we can all look that up so I'll tell you about the qualities. Again it's short, folded and extended, folded it's great. It's so tiny you could (and I did for my 2 day trip in the wild) leave it under the seat in your car. As short as it is it's also super light weight, at just 2.7 lbs (1.2kg)you could carry it all day and not notice anything. Again just to prove it I did, up 2 mountains. The Case it comes with is quality, I haven't had any problems so far with the case it self, very comfy very padded. So basically, I'll say the tripod and case are great for someone who's a bit short on cash (Only $135--which sounds like a lot but keep reading) but wants a quality tripod (aren't you sick of that crappy 'Dynex' from best buy-yeah I figured) or for someone who already has a $400 Manfrotto but doesn't want to carry around that beast.

So there's gotta be a downside right?
Yeah, there is sorta. I'm not going to lie, I love it, but the levers aren't the strongest I've ever used. I think if you're not super super abusive it'll last a while, but it's been less than a month for me. Another problem lies with the ballhead. Now frankly, I'd been skeptical, been using 3-way pan heads since 2004, and until I got my DSLR they were fine, then they weren't strong enough. I was worried the ballhead would slip a lot--it didn't. I infact like it a lot. My problem lies with the lever to adjust tension. it's a little hard to tighten on the tight end, that's expected I guess. So to loosen it you have to yank kinda hard and in doing this I snapped off a little bit--the piece that stops you from going over loosening. At first I was very very upset, it'd been literally less than 12 hours. Then I realized it was sort of a pain anyway and that got it outta the way. Now the thing to be cautious of is completely unscrewing the ballhead, but that takes a lotta turns. Now I wouldn't recommend breaking it off if you buy one, but if it happens, you can live without that bit, you might like it better. If not--theres a 5 year warranty.

To sum it up:

It's very portable, it's very stable. The leg levers aren't, well lets just say, titanium but, they're not "dyenx" either. The head is strong and there isn't slipping at all (but see above) The quick release plate is a bit small, but at the same time it's kinda nice. it's a great tripod, probably more so for someone who's on the go, walking a lot, I wouldn't suggest it for like shooting 3/4 portraits in a studio.

There's some photos on my flickr (check the link in the signature)

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:06 am 
JakeOConnell wrote:
the 40D with 28-135mm weights in at 1.6lbs (740g)

You might need to correct that. The 40D weighs 740g on its own and the 28-135mm adds another 549g. The weight is a lot closer to 1.3 kg already even without the battery grip. The battery grip may be 290g, but if you add in batteries it's going to weigh more. With that setup I'm going to guess you'll be nearer the 2kg limit.

Still leaves you a lot of room for playing about :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:18 am 

Great review, might be my next tripod :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 am 

pgtips wrote:
JakeOConnell wrote:
the 40D with 28-135mm weights in at 1.6lbs (740g)

You might need to correct that. The 40D weighs 740g on its own and the 28-135mm adds another 549g. The weight is a lot closer to 1.3 kg already even without the battery grip. The battery grip may be 290g, but if you add in batteries it's going to weigh more. With that setup I'm going to guess you'll be nearer the 2kg limit.

Still leaves you a lot of room for playing about :)

Oh, i got that from the spec's page over at B&H I guess it didn't quote the lens even though I was viewing the kit, thanks man I'll fix it when I get a chance

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:34 pm 

Great review!

Victor
Website