Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 pm 
pgtips wrote:
Still, if you stop down to f5.6 you get really sharp photos across the entire zoom range.

You can be sure, that if I get the new 70-200 F2.8 VRII and it front focuses even in the slightest, it's going to Nikon for callibration. If I want to use 200mm at 5.6 I might as well use my 70-300VR. Not bashing the sigma here, just saying that if you get a copy that front focuses and you can't fix it with micro adjustment, then it might as well go back to be replaced by a better copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
pgtips wrote:
Still, if you stop down to f5.6 you get really sharp photos across the entire zoom range.

You can be sure, that if I get the new 70-200 F2.8 VRII and it front focuses even in the slightest, it's going to Nikon for callibration. If I want to use 200mm at 5.6 I might as well use my 70-300VR. Not bashing the sigma here, just saying that if you get a copy that front focuses and you can't fix it with micro adjustment, then it might as well go back to be replaced by a better copy.

If mine comes front focusing it's paying a quick visit to the Sigma service centre for AF calibration!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:

I'll send it when I get round to it. It was a 2nd hand lens that was going fairly cheap so I can't exchange it at the shop. The front focusing isn't obvious unless you go looking for it. Still, I imagine I'll be sending Sigma my camera and lens. That's going to cost a bit in postage...

Will post my experiences when I do send it in for calibration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:36 pm 

So...just to recap: did any of you notice the "severe front focusing issues" in my real life shots?

That's what I thought, now stop complaining. If you want to complain, complain that it doesn't have stabilisation. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 am 
Citruspers wrote:
So...just to recap: did any of you notice the "severe front focusing issues" in my real life shots?

I probably shouldn't have brought up the fact that it front focuses seeing as most reviews on the web just complain about the slight softness at 200mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:02 pm 
This is awsome, I like the picture on your D90..
Do you get so much closer than with your 18-105mm @ 105mm?
Where did you buy this one btw?

again, awsome on your (my) D90 xD

Joren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm 

It gets me quite a bit closer than the 105, but the main advantage is the fast aperture of course :)

And yeah, it looks pretty good on the D90. The Nikon crinkle finish looks quite good with
sigma's EX finish :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:08 pm 
is there a facility to make a picture at 105mm and one at 200mm, so I could see the difference?

otherwise, I think I'll go for one lens of around 300mm in the future =)
But I guess this lens is very good to have a aperture of 2.8 and a focal length till 200mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 pm 

I'll see what I can do tomorrow ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:23 am 
Joren wrote:
is there a facility to make a picture at 105mm and one at 200mm, so I could see the difference?

Use this tool http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 am 

pgtips wrote:
Joren wrote:

Use this tool http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm

That's a great tool :wink: Used it my self.

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 pm 
Ok, as i have bought this lens i thought i would give my impressions of the first 6 hours.

This lenes build quality is pretty darn good, certainly a big step up from my 17-85 and 50 f/1.8, but probably not quite as good as the Canon version, which is meant to be bomb proof, but it is still very good. The 'EX' finish on the lens is very nice and i like it alot. In product photographs it may look quite rough but it is actually very smooth and has a lovely texture to it. I will also point out that the tripod collar is a brilliant deisgn.

The AF is very fast and would say it is as fast as my 17-85 (which is very quick) in real life situations, this is pretty impressive, although it is a bit noisier, which is to be expected as it is moving a substantial amount of glass in comparison.

Unfortunately my copy front focuses, (badly @ 70mm and just a bit out @ 200mm), so i will give a full impression of it's optical qualities after it has paid a visit to the Sigma service Centre :x

For all those thinking of buying one in the Canon mount, please be wary that i so far have not heard of a single copy coming straight from the manufacturer, which has AF correctedly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 am 

Welcome to the club Ed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:19 am 
Thanks pgtips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 pm 

Updated 23-09-09 with some samples of the bokeh this lens produces

The lens kind of changed my photography style around a bit, I noticed I can think outside the "get everything in the picture" box :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next