Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 pm 
Hello all of you
I recently made the move and brought myself a DSLR, and of course a bag to carry it in.
As far as I remember, Bjorn V.S. gave me the advice to go for a LowePro Flipside 200, and as I found the bag very useful and Bjorn is a very competent guy, I went for one.

First of all some basic facts:
It comes in two editions, the 200 and the 300. Basically the 300 is about $10 more expensive, and offers a little bit more space. You can buy the bag in three colors, black, blue and red. The color is the only thing that differs the bags. It is designed to be a backpack, making it easy to carry. It is also water resistant (up to a certain level of course)

Now to some of the features: (from now on I’ll concentrate on the Flipside 200)
The bag is opened from the back, making it more secure to carry with you in crowded places, as opening becomes nearly impossible when you wear it. It feature a inner section for camera, lenses and more, a tripod/monopod holder and some other small compartments for the rest.

Inside:
It can take one DSLR camera, with vertical grip and a 18 – 200mm lens attached. After that you have room for about two more lenses, but these mustn’t be too big, that means for example a 50mm and a 18 – 85, stored to the left of the camera. As with most bags these days you can move the inner sections to make the bag fit you needs. Above the camera compartment, there is a removable section that can store stuff like your manuals, filters, charger and more. The bottom side of this compartment (that will be in contact with your cameras back) is coated with a fabric that is designed not to scratch the screen on the camera.

Now on to the outside.
The bag features a small compartment on one side that is designed to store memory cards, and other small stuff. On the other side is a net that can take everything from gloves to smaller bottles. On the front of the bag, you can carry a tripod or a monopod. To do this you simply flip out a small holder on the bottom, and place one of the tri/monoped legs in this, then attach it securely and you are good to go.

When carrying the bag, there are two straps to attach over your stomach and chest to prevent the bag from falling of. Also you can let the lower one be attached, then turn the bag around to your stomach, making it possible to take out the camera easily. (This is very well presented in the product tour in the link)

Reflections:

Good:
- Lot of space for a small backpack in it’s price class
- Good value for the money
- Tripod/monopod holder
- Compartments for almost all you need

Bad:
- A little bit tricky to adjust the inner compartments to fit the camera perfectly

The bag from the front, with and without tripod/monopod holder out.

The inner compartment opened from back

Bag from the back

The small outer compartment, that can take memory card and more.

The inner compartment with size indicated. Inside is a Nikon D90 with the 18 - 105VR and lens hood attached.

Last words:
The LowePro flipside 200 is a decent, easy to use camera bag or backpack, with high potential that will satisfy most people’s needs. It might be too small for the professional photographer who won’t be able to fit all his stuff in there. But it’s a good complement to the other bags you might own, as it makes it easy to carry the camera, a couple of lenses, extra battery, tripod and a couple of memory cards with you for a day of photography.

I strongly recommend this bag to anyone who’s looking to buy the first DSLR and want to have a decent bag to start up with. Also if you are looking to upgrade from a smaller one, this is definitely a good choice!

Product tour:
http://vidego.productvideocast.com/play ... p=yhauf73w

(Please give me some feedback)

Best Regards

- Daniel -

Last edited by bigblocke on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:37 pm 
I also have the Flipside 200 and find it's a great value for the money. Inside mine I have my Nikon D40, SB-600 flash, 50mm lens, 18-55 lens, filters, charger, and other odds and ends. Outside carries the memory cards, spare batteries and cleaning kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:24 pm 

Great review, that bag is definitely high on my list. You might want to take a better picture of the tripod holder though, it wasn't totally clear to me until I watched the video.

otherwise great review :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm 
I'm glad you like the review, will try to bring up better pictures of the tripod holder, good point.
Thanks for sharing what you put in you bag NOYZE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:05 pm 
Great review. I also bought the black Flipside 200.

Couple of additional comments that I'd like to make. I do find it difficult to quickly get gear out. My shoulders might be a bit too broad for the Flipside 200, so I have a hard time getting the strap off one shoulder effortlessly. I've loosed up the straps as much as I can to help.

The Flipside is very sturdy, and seems like it will be able to take a beating. For the price you pay, it's a pretty good quality. The tripod holder is great too.

In retrospect, I think the Slingshot would have been more to my liking for every day use for easier access to the gear. But for being in the great outdoors or in the urban jungle, the Flipside is better in my opinion. Flipside has better looks than the Slingshot too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 pm 
I as well own the flip side 200 and I am very satisfied with the product, its a great bag which i find has no downsides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 pm 
Thanks for the review -- interesting feature set, although it does look a bit bulkier than the Slingshot series. The up-side seems to be that it has an enormous amount of capacity for gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:45 pm 

Something just came to mind: if you have your tripod mounted on your bag, and sling it around, won't you get hit in the nuts by it?

The bottom of the tripod holder portrudes a bit, judging from the video....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 am 
Citruspers wrote:
Something just came to mind: if you have your tripod mounted on your bag, and sling it around, won't you get hit in the nuts by it?

The bottom of the tripod holder portrudes a bit, judging from the video....

Hmm... I assume you're talking about the feature where you unbuckle your top buckle and leave the bottom one done up. i used that feature once and never again, i felt ridiculous with my bag in that position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm 

That's exactly what I meant. Trying that move with a tripod attached would be....painful ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 pm 
If I get you right, you mean that a tripod could do serious damage, when you turn the bag around to your stomach, to pick out the camera, and well, yes I guess so. Weird they didn't mention that in the instructions manual.
Luckily I haven't found out the hard way, as I don't own a tripod....yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:56 pm 

bigblocke wrote:
If I get you right, you mean that a tripod could do serious damage, when you turn the bag around to your stomach, to pick out the camera, and well, yes I guess so. Weird they didn't mention that in the instructions manual.

Lucky you ;)
I think it should be something to warn other users for, not to carelessly "stomach-swing" your bag with a tripod attached. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:08 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
bigblocke wrote:

Lucky you ;)
I think it should be something to warn other users for, not to carelessly "stomach-swing" your bag with a tripod attached. ;)

Yes indeed, I mean they warn for all other type of stuff these days, don't throw the camera from the fifth floor, can cause severe damage. So why not this, don't pull the bag to your stomach with a tripod attached, can cause injury to vital parts....someone should write lowepro a mail and complain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:25 pm 

bigblocke wrote:
Citruspers wrote:
bigblocke wrote:

Lucky you ;)

Yes indeed, I mean they warn for all other type of stuff these days, don't throw the camera from the fifth floor, can cause severe damage. So why not this, don't pull the bag to your stomach with a tripod attached, can cause injury to vital parts....someone should write lowepro a mail and complain

I'd like to see their reply.

"Please ensure proper protection is applied for your valuables"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:36 pm 
Here's an update of my use of the Flipside 200. I've been able to fit the following gear all at once in the bag:

E-410 with a 25mm pancake
E-510 with 40-150mm
14-42mm
FL-36R flash
Slik Tripod (on the outside of the bag)
Plus assorted filters, batteries, strap, etc.

Alternatively, I've also configured the bag to fit the following:

E-510 with 14-54mm
E-410 with 40-150mm
FL-36R flash
25mm pancake
Slik Tripod (on the outside of the bag)

If I don't want to take the tripod or a second camera with me:

E-510 with 14-54mm
40-150mm
25mm
FL-36R flash
Gorillapod SLR Zoom with Giotto ballhead (inside the bag)