Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus Evolt E510
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 pm 

Hi all!

Im a complete rookie in the DSLR/SLR business, I have only had the pleasure (??) of shooting with point and shoot cameras until now.

After spending a couple of days reading nonstop at Cameralabs.com and a couple of other pages (cameralabs was clearly the best and I am grateful for all the info I found here), I decided not to go for the popular Nikon and Canon models, but to go for the Olympus Evolt E510.

I bought it at US1photo.com, a page I thought appeared professionel and at the same time cheap - plus cameralabs.com had it on their page so I thought: "what the hell". :) I bought the twin lens pack with a bag for both camera and lenses + a 4gb memory card. Total: just under 600 dollars - a freaking bargain compared to what I had to pay for it in Denmark - where I am from (around 800-1000 dollars). A friend brought the camera with him from the states..

WARNING: US1photo.com did deliver the camera on time etc. but their customer support stinks!! I am grateful that the camera has no faults, as it would be hell to get it fixed with them I think. I have written them 3 emails with general questions, neither has been responded!..

Anyway, back to the important thing, the camera.

I opened the box and got the battery charged, and man, was i exited.. But 1 hour in, I was pretty damn sure that the camera was broken somehow. Like I said, I am a newbeginner at the DSLRs, so I assumed that putting the camera on "auto" would get me started right away. But that was not the case.

In certain lights the camera would not shoot at all, no matter what lense I used and how long I pushed the button. And the flash was acting very strange (at least thats what I thought yesterday) - saying drrdrrrdrrr and not taking the shot but just flashing a lot of times..

Well I am happy to say that it is me and not the camera there is something wrong with! After reading some more on forum, I found this link http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html. I sat down and made all the adjustments and learned tons about the camera, and guess what, it works just the way I like now.. :D

Im really really happy about this camera allready, I switching lenses and taking pictures of everything possible, and it produces great pics allready. Furthermore it has a great design, a lot cooler than Nikon/Canon models imo and the grip is perfect for my hand..

Based on the price and all the written above, I say BUY IT, do not hesitate, it is great.. BUT beware, the "out of box" settings are garbage - at least when you're new to all this..

Im looking forward to beating you all in the picture competitions :)

- Mathias

Edit: I have one question though. Is it normal that the camera says "drrr" when I turn it off?

Zuiko 40-150 mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:21 pm 

Nice review, I couldn't agree more! And that "drr" sound is the anti-dust system shaking the dust off the sensor. Thats why it's best to keep the camera upright when you're turning it off; the dust then sticks to a sticky tape kinda thing so it won't get on the sensor again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:24 am 

Thanks!..

ahh... I was almost certain that it was supposed to say that, but couldnt figure out why :) thanks again..

Zuiko 40-150 mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 pm 

Actually, the "ddrrr" sound when turning the system off is the IS system shutting down. If you turn off the IS, you'll notice that it doesn't do it when shutting down. The dust reduction system only activates when starting the camera or waking it up from sleep mode.

I just got the 510 so was curious as to this sound as well. I don't generally have IS on unless I need it. They recommend you turn it off when using a tripod as well.