Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D80
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:55 pm 
I'm a noob to DSLR. Started looking a few months ago.. reading... researching, etc.

I finally was able to get my hands on some of the different models at a local shop.

I wanted something that could grow with me but wasn't going to break the bank on my first DSLR. I didn't want to regret my decision on not upgrading right away.

My budget of course was blown early on as I researched and looked for what would suit me best.

I ended up with the Nikon D80 over the Canon 450D/Sony A300/Nikon D60.

The D80 just felt better in my larger hands. I didn't have any pinky hang and I could really grab on tight. It also felt better built than the other 3 with the A300 being second in line.

It can do more than I can right now as I'm basically just on "auto" for now as I learn all the things this can do.

It's a great starting point for someone who wants quality and full size but doesn't want to drop $1000 on their first DSLR. Live view would have been cool but that's about all it's missing. Auto sensor cleaning.. no biggie.. they all get dirty at some point no matter what marketing they put on it.

They are on pretty good sales right now with the launch of the D90 and will save you about $500.

The VR lenses are nice and come in handy for long distance shooting.. I opted to stick with the stock 18-135 kit over the smaller 18-55 VR lens. The 18-135 can do tons of stuff and is very nice glass for the price (at least for a beginner). If I want to shoot on zoom I'll put it on a tripod or brace myself against a tree or something. But a 70-300mm VR is already on the list... after a good hiking tripod and mount is purchased.

Anyway.. just my quick perspective.

Happy Holidays
John

Last edited by hawk45 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:14 pm 
seeing as u got the D80 for your first dlsr ever it's not actually a really cheap way to go and u obviously weren't so short on cash as most of photographers are when buying gear,so congratulations on your buy and post photos soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:27 pm 
Cost was actually only about $50 US more than the A300 or 450D kits. I also didn't want to buy a low-end version for $400 then want to upgrade in a year.. so I spent a little more and got a solid system that should last a long time. It's a good "tweener" model at a very good price now for what you get. Not entry level.. but not professional.. close to semi-pro I would guess with great build quality.

Pics of it? Man.. now I'll have to get another camera to take picks of my camera.. wow.. I just got dizzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:45 pm 
ermm i mean photos you'll take with your new camera -.-
and yeah that's what i was talking about, a almost semi-pro dslr as your first, not bad, but the money you'll spend on lenses later on when you realize exactly what your specialty is and decide on something like the L series or something, well let me say there's a whole new world opening up