Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sony SAL50F14 Prime Lens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:09 pm 

Sony SAL50F14:
Equivalent 35mm-Format Focal Length: 75
Lens Groups/Elements: 6/7
Angle of View 1 (35mm): 47º
Angle of View 2 (APS-C): 32º
Aperture Blades: 7
Circular Aperture
Min. Aperture: 22
Min. Focus³: 0.45m (1.5 ft.)
Max. Magnification: 0.15
Filter Diameter: 55mm
Dimensions (Max. Diameter x Length): 65.5 x 43mm (2 9/16” x 1 11/16”)
Weight: 220g (7 3/4 oz.)
Distance Scale
Depth of Field Scale
Distance Encoder

(I use a Sony Alpha a200, with a Kenko SL-39 UV filter)

I picked up this lens this past Friday after a lot of careful thought and consideration. I am a fairly new DSLR user, but I've been obsessed with photography for years so I have maybe a little more knowledge then a "newbie." I was looking for a lens that would give me fantastic bokeh, had good quality glass, and would allow me to shoot crisp images in low-light situations. This lens performed perfectly!

When un-boxing the lens the weight of it is immediately evident, it's about half as long as the kit lens on my a200, but weighs substantially more. This isn't a bad thing at all and rather makes the lens feel substantial. The rubberized focus ring is also a very nice step up from the kit lens, and the movement is smooth, but maybe not as precise as some might like (I'm not a manual-focus guru, I use a fair amount of AF, so this wasn't a huge deal for me...)

As my camera is APS-C the fixed focal length is quite lengthy, and if you're not used to shooting in this way then it takes some time to adjust. You'll find yourself tripping over all sorts of tables and stools trying to backup to get the shot you want. I kind of like the long focal-length though, it forces unique composition, and makes you get up and move around to take your photos, instead of acting more or less like a human tripod from a couch.

The AF is precise and not particularly noisy or distracting, the speed is great, and although there are some issues using the AF in extreme low-light situations, I almost always ended up with clear shots - most instances where I did not, I only had myself to blame.

There were no noticeable distortions or imperfections in any of my photos; although if you're reading reviews it appears this lens has issues with CA, it's not something that I would have even been aware of had I not read the reviews.

In the end, seeing as this was my first prime, and the first lens purchase for my a200, I loved it. The price was a little bit steep for my tastes at $400 (Canadian, with taxes) but I feel like it was worth it, and I've only been shooting with the lens for 3 days.

Below are sample photos. I was staying with friends for the weekend during their massive homecoming celebration, seeing that they're living in possibly the darkest basement apartment ever constructed it was a great place to test out the lens. The weather was also terrible, and it was raining a lot during the day, so I couldn't take any sunny shots or anything... but I went out on some drunken night shooting.

If you've got any questions/comments I'm all ears!

Samples:

I didn't watermark these but please respect my ownership :)

greg@shinogo.com

Last edited by Shinogo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm 

I think that sums up the lens nicely :)

This was the first lens I bought. I got it before I got the camera. But I hate to admit it, it is not one I use very often. I did try playing with bokeh when wide open yesterday, and ran into some noticeable longitudinal CA (in out of focus areas).

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:32 pm 

I'll read the review later, it's too late for that now and I have to go to school again tomorrow morning. But you sure have taken some good shots already! I love the third and fifth one! Good job!

Now that I see f/2.8 on the 70-200mm still isn't quite enough, I can't wait to get an f/1.4 lens!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 pm 
This is actually a lens i really want. Will probably be the first (Or 2nd) lens i will get for my camera. (Other than the kit lens :))

Great review, now i'm even more set on getting it :D And you mentioned one of the reasons i want a pirme, and not a 18-200. Get up and mov around, high and low, left and right, forward and backwards and discover new compositions, that you would'nt have though about. Quoting to a canon guy here at the forum (Can't remember name, he has only primes) "Get tight and personal with a prime." And that's exactually what i want. To get limited, so i can discover new levels of my photgraphy. Well again, thanks for a great review. Hope to see more pictures soon.

0eyvind

(EDIT): Just saw his name, it is Orsan Kart :)

Post subject: Sums up nicely...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 pm 
Great review man - Nice shots from this weekend (especially #3, the one of me!).

Officially can't wait to get my own a200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm 
Great review and pictures...
I've been considering this lens too. Seems like a very good prime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 pm 
Very nice. I have a Minolta f1.7 50mm prime on its way (supposed to be here last Friday, stupid USPS!). It's definitely not the same as a 1.4, but given my current funds the most economical choice :D

Perhaps we can do a shoot off? I know yours will win, but I'd love to see how the budget lens fairs. Btw, nice shots, especially number 4. I think i like it because it confuses my mind a little. Can't figure out what it is, and that is intriguing.

Last edited by csrussell on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 am 

I'm 97,4% sure I'll get this lens for Christmas (partially paid by Santa, mostly paid by me). It will be a good time to test the lens and it's f/1.4 aperture.
I'll be trying it on Sunday, see whether I prefer it over a new bag (which I need because my current one's too big). But I'll probably go for the lens, seems like the best option to go for at this moment (with the cashback as well).

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 am 
Bjorn, go for the lens. You absolutely will not regret it. It'll really change your photography, and anyone elses. It really changed my own, and you really can't go back to a slower lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm 

The reason I'd get is, of course, the f/1.4 aperture. I'd like to more available light photography, especially round Christmas, and since the 50mm is quite affordable, it's the perfect thing to buy!

Just afraid I'll want the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 real bad once I have the 50mm... :x

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
The reason I'd get is, of course, the f/1.4 aperture. I'd like to more available light photography, especially round Christmas, and since the 50mm is quite affordable, it's the perfect thing to buy!

Just afraid I'll want the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 real bad once I have the 50mm... :x

- Bjorn -

lol. I think its normal to get "poisoned" by a lens.
I just keep telling myself what i would be eating for the next few months if i ever go Zeiss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 pm 
Gold_Fish! wrote:
I just keep telling myself what i would be eating for the next few months if i ever go Zeiss.

New strategy.. Thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:32 pm 

Gold_Fish! wrote:

Anything I'd normally eat! You have to save for something, and buy it when you have the money, so perhaps what you'd eat before you buy Zeiss is not all that much, but it will all be worth it once you get the lens...
Good thing I'm young still, don't have to pay for my food yet! :D

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:19 pm 

Some more samples for the curious:

greg@shinogo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 pm 

Good shots! I love number two and three, nice use of the large aperture.

You may have noticed already: I've altered my signature and added the 24-70mm to it, instead of the 50mm. I'm still doubting, considering three options, the Zeiss 24-70mm and 85mm f/1.4 and, in the back of my mind, the 50mm f/1.4. The reason I'd rather go for the 85mm from Zeiss is the longer focal length, which I tend to use very often for indoor portraits. Actually, the 135mm f/1.8 migh be even better (focal length-wise), but I don't want to add another lens to the list and make things even more confusing...

Again: some good shots there! Keep up the good work!

- Bjorn -