Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:30 pm 
Which camera should i get between the Canon Rebel XTI or Nikon D40X. We will mostly be shooting outside sports(baseball, soccer). Also we will use the standard lens that comes with the kit for the beginning. Which should i get?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:04 pm 

Hi rh535,

Fan though I am of the XTi as far as I am aware the only kit lens this camera comes with is the EF-S 18-55mm. Not sure how close you expect to be to the action but my guess is that 55mm (full frame equivalent of 88mm) won't get you close enough.

On the UK site Nikon mention the D40X High-Power Zoom Kit which includes the AF-S DX 18-135mm Nikkor zoom lens. Nikon fans would be better judges of this lens than I but with an equivalent zoom to 200mm I would think this might be a better option.

Alternatively, there have been a number of threads on the forum which have discussed the pros and cons of purchasing an older model camera body and using the money saved to get the lens you need. Remember that you can always upgrade the body in a few years time and, if you stay with the same maker, use your lens collection on the new body.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:06 pm 

Hello rh535, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!

I really thought, we had a question like this before, lemme see: Well the "Nikon D80 or Canon 30D?", the "Canon 350D (Rebel XT) or 400D (Rebel XTi) ?" - no, the "D40x vs. E-510" - No, and the "Will an E-510 be able to do what a D70s could not?" - NO!
Ah, and there it is: "XT vs. D40": http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552
Concise read, clear answer: it (the answer) also holds true for the 400 vs D40x.

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:31 pm 
we suspect to be pretty close to the action. High school baseball and soccer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 am 

I assume the budget is strict, if so, there is another option.

What about the Pentax K100? Admittedly it's only a 6MP model but I doubt that's particularly relevant in sports photography. What it does offer though is in-body anti-shake, which would be pretty handy for shooting sports I imagine. It comes with a 17-55mm lens and is appreciably less expensive than the Canon 400D. In fact, you could add a Pentax 50-200mm lens to the kit and it would only be £40 more expensive than the Canon.

I've never used either camera though so I can't speak as to the user-experience.

Food for thought.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:34 pm 

RS4 wrote:
Firstly I would like to say that I have read the dpreview, camera labs and other reviews of these camera. I have also watched a few videos on youtube including the ones made by thus site.

I had a rubbish point and shoot 4 mega pixel fuji camera a few years ago. 1.5 years ago I got a fuji S9500/S9000 and its a greeat camera but I think I am ready for a dslr.

I want to get the Nikon d40x or the Canon 400D/Xti. I can`t decide which one is better. Can you please help me make up my mind? Which one is the better buy?

Just wanted to say that I will get the 18-55 kit lens with the camera I decide to buy.

I have read that the nikon D40x has three focusing points and that the canon 400d has nine focusing points.

Do all the focusing points work all at once or do you just select one each time?

Won`t the canon have much much sharper and more in-focus pictures than the nikon? 9 focus points VS. 3 focus points.

Please help me understand this. Its all new to me.

Also, if it helps, 75% of the time I will be doing automotive stuff (car photoshoots, track days etc..), 5% of the time will be people pictures, 10% will be nature and landscapes and the final 10% will be random stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:23 pm 

Eh? :?

No, sorry. I understand what's happening now. :oops:

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:19 pm 

Well, I moved RS4's new entry here, but there is no other way than to quote him. So just take it as another question in this thread.

(This is) just an effort to have only one thread open for the same topic!
Keeping this place tidy!!
Making the users happy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:22 am 
Im pretty sure i am going to go with the Nikon D40X Kit. Do i need to get a uv filter to protect my lense? Also Since this will be used for sports, how fast should i get my SDHC card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:40 pm 

UV-filter wihth modern lenses is only a physical protection. You don't need to have it, but to clean the filter 100 times is cheaper (and easier!) than to clean the front lens 100 times :lol:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:08 am 
i got this SDHC memory card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227235

Is this fast enough for sports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:38 am 

Class 6 is the highest speed grade with SDHC cards. So this is ok!
Still you will encounter a speed degradation (in frames/sec) after a certain time as the cam writes from internal mem to the card, when the internal mem gets stuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
Class 6 is the highest speed grade with SDHC cards. So this is ok!
Still you will encounter a speed degradation (in frames/sec) after a certain time as the cam writes from internal mem to the card, when the internal mem gets stuffed.

How much time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:31 am 

Well, depends on the camera and the amount of internal mem they have.
I don't have the fastest mem-card in my D80 and shoot RAW+jpeg. This has an influence too as the amount of mem per pic changes with the type of file you shoot. So under these conditions my D80 makes around 3-5 shots at max. speed and then slows down considerably (because of the slow mem-card).