Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51 am 

WTF at the above post?

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 am 
Faiza1926 - Er, have you noticed that CameraLabs is a "Photography" Forum - and this thread is a discussion on the merits of Bridge-Zooms versus DSLRs..?

Your post seems somewhat off-topic, and even 'political'.... It isn't what I, for one, am very comfortable with finding here....

Is it possible you pre-wrote that post in Word or Notepad, and have 'pasted' it on the wrong site, in error?

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:35 am 

You're far too diplomatic, oldwarbler given that they did it twice.

Somebody pasted similar crap a few weeks ago. I'd almost put money on it being the same person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm 
Rorschach - It costs nothing to be polite. And this is indeed a very polite, nicely mannered, and very helpful "family rated" forum.

And the 'offending' post could actually have been in error. I post on a lot of forums, photography, current events, Linux, and 'political comments' ones. Those things often don't mix well - and if you were typing "live" on forum, as I am now - you're unlikely to confuse "topic suitabilities".

But with longer posts in some forums - mostly where some researching is needed - I pre-write the post in Gedit (like Notepad, in Linux) - and "paste-in" next time I go on that forum...

I once in error cross-posted - a controversially political item - on a Linux forum... And was PM'd by an "astounded" Mod - asking had I made a mistake - and would I do something about it - rapido! I did!

So - it's possible... And giving folk the 'benefit of the doubt', is polite, too.

Regards, Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 am 

Great topic, I am sorry it ended so suddenly.
I've read this thread since the beginning posts, and I know some of the discussion is out of date. I really like my Canon SX150 IS for its portability, durability in all kinds of weather, and affordability but I am planning on getting a DSLR soon for several reasons: a) my reason for taking pictures has changed from casual family events to a business setting, and I am taking pictures almost every day b) I now routinely make 8 x 10 and larger prints, and I want them to be sharp c) I am doing much more wildlife photography and traveling and want different zoom options and better color that I currently get with the SX150 and d) I have worn out some of the switches on the SX 150 and they are no longer being made (or won't be available soon - am I wrong?). So I am planning a mid-range DSLR with more than one lens, but will probably also pick up something similar to my SX 150 to keep in my pocket for the places I go where I would not want to risk damaging something much more expensive (like in a kayak.) The Canon SX 150 IS is a great camera for what I needed. Now I am no longer happy with the slower startup, the noise with higher ISO, the incredibly short battery life for night pictures, and the inability to zoom in far enough for many shots I want to take.

I am wondering about the "bridge" cameras mentioned in so many of the posts. Are they now obsolete or is there still a big gap between the low end DSLR's and the superzooms (I know my Canon SX 150 IS is quite a bit better than the smaller Canons mentioned in some of the earlier posts)? For those who do have the bridge cameras, do you now have DSLR's?

Thanks to everyone who's been putting up with my pictures. I've posted quite a few poor shots and have gotten many helpful tips. Before I knew my pictures could get better. Now I'm learning how to make that happen. Thanks for being so kind!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 am 

XNavyHM3 wrote:
I am wondering about the "bridge" cameras mentioned in so many of the posts. Are they now obsolete or is there still a big gap between the low end DSLR's and the superzooms (I know my Canon SX 150 IS is quite a bit better than the smaller Canons mentioned in some of the earlier posts)? For those who do have the bridge cameras, do you now have DSLR's?

Just to avoid any confusion at all, let me just state this really quick: superzoom = bridge camera.
Ok, now with that out of the way, I don't think superzoom cameras are obsolete at all. Tell me where can you find a camera with a 24-1200mm lens that can fit easily in a case for a small DSLR with a kit lens. That right there, is what makes superzoom cameras so special in my opinion. Their amazing focal lenghts, their portability (relatively speaking of course), and their low prices. Of course they have disadvantages, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.
I own myself a bridge camera and just purchased a DSLR, although I haven't been able to use it (darn postal service), I still do think that my superzoom will continue to have a use, I don't think it's obsolete.

Hope I helped :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 am 

Thanks Pier,
Some of the older posts mentioned Compacts, superzooms, bridge cameras, and the DSLR's, so, yes, I was a little confused about what the purpose of the "bridge" camera was. I think the camera I have now would have once been classified as a bridge camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am 

I will explain a bit. A bridge camera doesnt need to have the enourmous zoom range of today's bridge cameras. Even better though, turn it: A superzoom doesnt need to be a bridge camera. Nowadays even those pocket size cameras have enourmous zoom possibilities, and they are clearly not bridge cameras.
I think you have to know what your budget will be. Of course any DSLR with good lens would be lovely, but to get a final image, you need more than a body alone. For sharp photos you need sharp lenses, and they dont come cheap. Not at all to be fair.
I am not recommending Canon that much anymore, because Im starting to get angry on them, nonetheless I know the most about Canon so it at least helps to explain.
Midrange body: 60D, $900.
Wide angle sharp lens: I would recommend a 3rd party lens as they are cheaper. Tamron/Sigma 17-50 2.8: $500-600.
Telephoto lens: Now the reason to recommend Canon: Canon has the professional 70-200 L lenses for cheap ($500), but the quality is awesome. Worth every buck. For the same price you can get the 70-300 IS USM though, if you want a bit more range. The quality at 300mm isnt that great anymore, so instead you could be cropping a knife sharp 200mm photo made with an 70-200. It depends if you need stabilisation or not.
You see, it will cost quite a bit. Of course, buying used equipment will be much cheaper (recommended), but at the end of the day, a superzoom/bridge like the Panasonic FZ200 may get you the same pleasing results as a small fortune worth DSLR system.
Think about it, check the FZ200 review, the sample pictures... and good luck! Were always here to help you of course.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm 

Ruben123 wrote:
I will explain a bit. A bridge camera doesnt need to have the enourmous zoom range of today's bridge cameras. Even better though, turn it: A superzoom doesnt need to be a bridge camera. Nowadays even those pocket size cameras have enourmous zoom possibilities, and they are clearly not bridge cameras.

Oh sorry if I caused any confusion, it's just that some years ago almost all bridge cameras were superzooms and there were no compact superzooms. Thanks for correcting me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm 

No problem ;)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:43 pm 

Hello everyone,

This is a very nice website and forum. Keep up the good work!

However I have a small request, would it be possible to update the page mentioned in the first post of this thread (http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml)?
A lot has changed in digital camera world with the introduction mirorless camera's, Sony DSLT's, more powerfull superzooms, better video recording capabilities of various camera's... These can change the answers to some of the questions on that page or even raise new questions.

Having refreshed answer to those questions would also certainly help me in deciding between a Panasonic FZ200 and the new Sony Alpha A58 DSLT!

Greetings,
Vulc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 am 

That sums up every thought I have to share with people

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm 

I have an even more basic question: what do I need to photograph ceramics - single pieces to small groupings - in a controlled light setting using either solid or gradated backgrounds? clarity and color (obviously I'm American) are key. Any reason to go farther than a point and shoot with a super macro?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6