Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 pm 
Ok im am 99% decided on a Nikon D80, thats the easy part. Im trying to figure out which lens system to buy into. I'm currently looking at a 18-200mm Nikon VRII, but i"m not sure if its worth it. My alternative scheme is getting a 18-70mm in a kit w/the D80 and later purchasing a 70-300mm to increase my total focal range.

I plan on a trip to east side of the united states in roughly a month, i thought this would be the perfect time to grab an SLR and i think the 18-200mm would be a wonder lens for the trip. In retrospect the 18-70mm is $500 CAD cheaper but i'm worried the focal length is lacking the range of the 18-200mm.

Another thing, I'm worried is that if i use the 18-70mm in lowlight situations that it won't perform without the VRII provided by the 18-200mm.

I'm interested in many different aspect of photography which would be satisfied to a high extend by the 18-200m.

So basically my question is 17-70 & 70-300m system, or 18-200m. The extra bit of focal length isn't too much of an issue and i know it will cost more in the long run. I could consider dropping body down to a D40X but the body is quite small. I am more concerned about the 18-70mm not performing well in dimly lit environments because the lack of VR but the money spent is initially a lot less. my maximum budget right now is D80 and 18-200mm. The Olympus 510 is and extremely seductive offer and seems to solve all my problems but i'm extremely skeptical, that and really like the body of a D80.

Decisions...Decisions....

I have been agonizing for weeks on this issue any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm 

Bonjour nmac,

I currently use a Pentax K10D with two lenses, 18-55mm and 50-200mm. Main motivation was price since the lenses were bundled with the camera.

However, shifting from one lens to another, even with experience, is not easy (you need a quiet place), not safe (because of the dust) and not fast (a couple of minutes).

So a 18-200 lens could make life easier and enjoy 'on the spot' zoom-in and zoom-out!

Shake reduction is a winning feature and enhances possibilities (in the Pentax world, it is built in the camera). I really like it.

Also, check the availability of the 18-200mm Nikon VRII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 pm 
Also, check the availability of the 18-200mm Nikon VRII.

Availability is not an issue. I have a place where many exist, it's just a matter of ordering, 1-2 weeks delivery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:53 pm 

Hello nmac, and welcome to the Camera labs forum!

Well, well! You sound like me when I set my eyes on the D80. The availability of the 18-200VR was much worse in those days. So I bought the body and thought and thought.
Finally I gave up and went for the 18-200mm, because:
- Image stab
- No need to carry around a bag with another lens
- No loss of valuable time as you don't need to switch lenses
- Less risk of aquiring dust
- having the best super-zoom with a DSLR :wink:
And yes, you're right. Even below 70mm the VR helps a lot: avoids shake, lets you shoot at lower ISO=lower noise!
That's all you need to make your trip a fantastic experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi nmac, Rei's right - it boils down a lot to convenience.

If you never (or rarely) have to change lenses, then you minimise the risk of dust and of course also reduce the chance of missing a shot due to swapping lenses. I'm also a great fan of VR at shorter focal lengths as they let you shoot at often ridiculously slow shutter speeds for very low light work or special effects.

BUT there may be times when you just want a smaller and lighter camera and lens combo - times when just fitting, say, the 18-70mm could be useful. Lenses with shorter focal ranges also have the potential to perform better than those with long ranges, although to be fair, there's few complaints against the 18-200mm.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm 
Thanks for the help people!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:44 am 

Just how important is the image stabilization for the 18-200 lens? 200 doesn't seem that extreme to me, unless the problems are created by it being a relatively slow lens.
If stabilization is a nice feature but not essential, does the Tamron 18-200 offer a good option? Maybe the Sigma.
I'm thinking that by using flash, even the one built into the camera, that you can use a faster shutter speed, theeby eliminating the shakes.
I like the 18-200 range, but the price of Nikon's lens is to me, frankly, a bit daunting.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:55 am 

VR is absolutely essential above say 70mm. I've lost a lot of pics do to shake! And shake is something that cannot be corrected by postprocessing :cry:
It also lets you stop down for enhanced depth of field without having to up the ISO/noise.
And don't forget: 200mm on APS-C sensor equals 300mm on film. If you can not go into a Zen-like freeze, you will certainly encounter shake at 1/125sec of slower.
Flash? Bah, that certainly freezes your subject, but gives such an ugly expression (if your into into at least one slave flash, remotely hold from your cam).
VR, IS, OS, VC or at least in-camera stabilization is the way to go!