Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: To DSLR or not
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:28 am 

I currently use an old Fuji 7000, which I am generally happy with. I do have a major complaint and that is shutter lag. It is extremely long and I will often miss a shot. I really do like the long zoom range. I am told that the only way to avoid the long shutter lag is to switch to a dslr. I am willing to do that, if that is necessary, but would prefer to stay with a type of camera similar to what I have now.
My question is this. Is there a super zoom with no, or very little, shutter lag?
If not, then I would go with either the Nikon D80 or Canon XTI. Either camera would have the Tamron 17-200 lens. My preference, just based on owning another Nikon camera and reading reviews, is to go with the D80, but I am concerned about dust. I don't think I would have a problem with dust on a super zoom camera.
Is dust a more serious problem in a digital slr than in a film slr?
The Canon has a dust removing system, although I understand it has limitations.
Either would/should have better detail and better photos than what I have now.
Your thoughts, please.
Thanks,

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:39 am 
I have the Canon 400D (XTi in USA) for about 5 months now and do quite a lot of lens changing in all sorts of locations and have upto now not suffered any dust problems, but if you read Gordon's reviews and watch his video's you will see that dust maybe a problem with any camera.

BTW welcome to Camera Labs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 pm 

Hello David, and welcome to the CameraLabs forum!

The dust problem is far greater in DSLRs than in 35mm-film SLRs, because:
- the most often used APS-C sensor only is half the size of the 35mm-film therefor any dust on the sensor looks twice as big.
- The sensor stayes there for 100,000 shots while the piece of film is transported away at each shot, so the next pice of film is a clean one.

On the other hand slides and negatives can collect a lot of dust, but they are definitely easier to clean than a sensor.
So yes you have to look out - even when you don't change the lense.
And also be warned it is not always easy to get rid of it in a DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:40 am 

I read the reviews and watched the video as Defiant suggested.
On the topic of dust, both mentioned that the D80 did not have an active anti-dust feature, but neither mentioned how severe of a problem this is.
From tom's reply, I gather that dust CAN be a problem when it's there.
To remove dust from a sensor, do you just use a puffer, or do you have to actually wipe?
If I use the same lens all the time, how likely is it that dust will get on the sensor?
This would be a major plus for the Canon, assuming Canon's system is more effective at removing dust than Nikon's method of using programing.
Is all of this moot if I use a Super Zoom camera like the Fuji 7000 or 6500fd, where the lens is permanently attached? I am probably using an incorrect term for that, but I don't know any other.
Again, are there any non-dsler cameras that have no, or very little, shutter lag?

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 am 

I use a blower to clear dust from my Nikon D80. It is a quick and effective process. I have only had to do it twice in the 7 months I've owned my camera. I have done it more often than that though. I usually clean my camera before I go out on a trip when I know I will be taking photos. I think it is worth doing preventative cleaning than cleaning the camera after you have found dust on your photos.

It is worth bearing in mind that there are no anti dust systems that are 100% perfect. You will always have to clean the camera at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 am 

Phil has summed up my views perfectly. I agree with everything.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:15 pm 

David beware, I own a Sony P&S that constantly has dust problems. And the worst thing about this is that you have to send it to the service to get it cleaned :evil:
So buying a P&S or brige-camera does not keep dust out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 am 

Thank you, Thomas, for sharing that.
I am begining to think this issue of dust may be model specific. I don't doubt your experience, although I have not had any noticable problem with my old Fuji. The operable word being 'noticable'.
How large does one need to enlarge a photo before the dust becomes apparent? I suppose that would depend on the size of the piece of dust.
For my purposes on this specific topic, unless there is a problem with one specific sample, any problem with dust in a D80 will be minimal if proper care is given as Phil does, can be fixed with software, and is not a significant "deal breaker" in the purchase of a camera.
Addressing the first part of my original question, does your Sony have noticable shutter lag?
Anybody else have a super zoom (Is that P&S or bridge camera?) without significant lag?
I'm going to guess that when manufacturers of point and shoot cameras have eliminated the lag, they will advertise the heck out of it. Since I haven't seen ads to that effect, my guess is that all of them suffer from shutter lag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:46 am 

My Sony DSC-p200 does not have serious shutter-lag.