Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need your input!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 am 
You guys do a FANTASTIC job, by far the most informative site I have found.

Ok here is the deal, my colleague has a used K100D for sale $500 for everything. The equipment list is as follows:

Pentax K100d Digital SLR body (Includes Warranty until 2011 and original packaging, accessories and receipt)
-Pentax DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 Zoom with hood
-Pentax 28-90mm F3.5-5.6 Zoom with hood
-Pentax 100-300mm F4.7 Zoom
-Pentax MZ-6 35mm Film Camera body
-Optex tripod, extends to 6'
-ROOTS camera bag, fits all equipment plus.
-2gb SD Card, cleaning kit

I have looked at the reviews, and other camera's I have been looking at are the Reble XTI and XSI, Sony A-350, Oly 520, and of course the newer K200D.

I primarily will be shooting nature/outdoors, macro, my family, and I like to be creative. Friends have seen what I have shot with my Fuji S1000FD and they have been impressed. They have also expressed interest in me taking pictures of their kids/family for X-mas cards etc, and they would be willing to pay me to do it.

Does this sound like a good investment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:50 am 
Hi fishguyis,

Let me offer you a warm welcome to the forum.

The short version of my answer to your question is: if everything is in good order, it's a great deal. Check the number of shutter-actuations though - if it's over 25.000 it's rather used. Still, some good lenses there.

The K100D's 6 MP is plenty and you can easily do 18X12 inch prints with that.

With the body's built-in shake-reduction (which was considered very good for it's day back n the latter half of 2006 when it was introduced) and the lens-mount that allows you to use pretty much any lens Pentax has ever made, it's a versatile package.

The built-in flash and the kit-lens (18-55) are both really good for the class and it's ability to use AA batteries makes it very versatile.

The auto focus is a little on the slow side - more so indoors in low light. The auto-white balance can struggle with incandescent lights, but you will learn to adjust for that.

From a value-for-money perspective (assuming everything is in good order) I think it's a good deal.

From a so-how-much-has-other-entry-level-DSLRs-evolved-since-then-and-what-do-they-cost-now perspective (lol) I still think it's a good deal. Things haven't changed that dramatically - a slight improvement in the high-ISO noise-handling perhaps, but nothing to gasp excitedly about - ISO800 and up has perhaps gotten a little better. A few more in-camera features - most of which you can get better by post-processing on your computer.

I would strongly suggest that you try to handle the camera first. Many people find that the control-scheme, weight and overall "feel" of a camera means a lot more than they imagined. This can have a significant impact on the "shooting pleasure" in both directions.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 am 
LahLahSr,

Thanks very much for your feedback, it's been very difficult to decide what to do.

The camera has less then 1200 actuations and I have had the chance to take it home and "play" with it. I find it very comfortable and easy to use.

I think the only thing missing in the kit at this point is a good flash (which I can probably get for around $250-300).

It has been suggested to me to try to find a FA 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 lens. I have been able to find one and I think with that and a good external flash, I would be good to go.

I was also looking at a 20D kit for sale (used) for $800 that includes:

Canon EOS 20D (8.2 Megapixel) along with the BG-E2 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder (fits 20D and 30D), two BP-511A batteries (with one charger), one Lexar 2 GB Professional Compact Flash Card, and three lenses:

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus (with EW-73B Lens Hood)

EF-S 60 mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus + UV Filter

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus + UV Filter

One of my other colleague's shoots with a 20D and it is a very nice camera as well.

Henry's also has a great deal for a Rebel XSI with an 18-55mm kit lens, extra battery, UV filter, and bag for $829.99.

I want to be able to spend my money in the best way possible Others have suggested that the K100D would be very suitable for what I need and it would allow me to invest in some good glass (my original budget was $1000 or under).

I have been looking at reviews for the last 3+ weeks and at this level and price point there really is a lot available.