Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What lenses?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 pm 
Hello there!
I've just discovered this website while I was searching for wich Camera I should buy. I plan to buy it in like 3-4 months, but I want to be sure of what I'm gonna take, so I'm looking for it right now. Allright.

So it's gonna be my first SLR. I have looked for the bodies and the one that I'm most interested in is the Canon Rebel Xti (400D). For that, I think there is no problems. The problem is that I am not sure of what kind of lenses I should buy; A Wide, or a Tele. I am hesitating between the 10-22mm and the 17-85mm.

So I am hesitating because a Tele can be usefull sometimes, but I think I'll mostly take pictures of landscapes, and peoples. I would also like to cover events. So what would be the best choice for me? Newb needs advice :)

And BTW, sorry for my bad english :)
Oh and... THIS WEBSITE ROCKS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 am 
Hello Eric,

For landscapes a wide angle lens is recommended... For people you might need a portrait prime lens (a 50mm on a Rebel XTi becomes a 80mm) or a 30mm for street photography... For events you might need a telephoto zoom...

You can start with the wide angle and buy more lenses as the need arises. I don't know too much about Canon lenses - hopefully somebody else will give more specific advice...
Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:40 am 
:O
I tought that a Wide was good for portraits :O

Sa basicly, Wide are only for landscapes and buildings?

Allright... So I guess I should get the 17-85 mm instead... Right? (For my first lens... And maybe get the wide after?)

[Edit] Oh and BTW, what is the best kind of lens for Skateboarding/Mountain bike photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am 

The 17-85mm works like a 27-136mm. That is a very useful zoom-range. Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:02 am 
Gordon has just posted a review on 3 lenses for the 400D/XTi here http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... age7.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:25 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
The 17-85mm works like a 27-136mm. That is a very useful zoom-range. Go for it!

Allright, Thanks :D

Defiant wrote:
Gordon has just posted a review on 3 lenses for the 400D/XTi here http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... age7.shtml

I know he did, I've watched it before posting this thread. My question is NOT what lens is the best, the question is what kind of lens should I buy considering my needs. Thanks anyways ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am 
Eric wrote:

Here's a short paragraph on choosing the "right lens" for portraits - from the old days of the PHOTOgraphic magazine - learned some good things from their articles. Take a look at tip #2...

For a recent discussion on using wide angle lenses at parties (and some samples) take a look here.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:02 am 
I wanted the 10-22, then the 17-40L,

but now im considering the 10-22 OR 16-35L

10-22:
Pros:
10mm equivalent to 16mm
Low distortion
Low price

Cons:
Only fits cropped frame body

16-35L:
Pros:
L quality
Fits on later full frame body

Cons:
16mm equivalent to 25.6mm, so not as wide as the 10-22
Expensive (650$ vs. 1600$)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:42 pm 

Hmmm, but there is a 80% overlap with your kit-lens, Cr4zYH3aD. So not much of a difference from 16mm to 18mm and not much more fun :?
I'd absolutely go for the 10-22mm if I had a Canon-body. That gives you a breathtaking view.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:55 pm 
Darrin wrote:
Eric wrote:

Here's a short paragraph on choosing the "right lens" for portraits - from the old days of the PHOTOgraphic magazine - learned some good things from their articles. Take a look at tip #2...

For a recent discussion on using wide angle lenses at parties (and some samples) take a look here.

Darrin

Allright! Ty for the links, it's appreciated!