Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:51 pm 

If I was not able to buy the D80 I'd have went with the Pentax K10D. Sure, it's a little more complex than the competition, but that's because it offers more features. Using Aperture Priority on the Pentax is no more difficult on the Pentax than it is on the Canon 400D or Nikon D40(x). I've also read the reports about it producing a soft image but then my Nikon isn't the sharpest at default settings either.

The photography forums - and in particular the manufacturer specific sites - are all awash with people who've found faults with their particular models. They're also awash with solutions to these problems. I think you'd be safe enough to go for the Pentax if you like it in the flesh. I'm sure it'll be a good camera. I'm actually pretty envious of it's sensitivity - priority mode.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:12 am 
hisaycheese wrote:
After reading some more, i figured i may not buy the Olympus as they don't sell any fixed focal length lenses.

Not true. They do have a few - for example a 35mm and 50mm (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/lens/dea/products/lens/index.asp). Sigma also makes a few, as does Leica / Panasonic (http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html). Those may not be what you are looking for though...

Darrin

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 pm 
Olympus 410 - too small, was not comfortable at all
500 - fits my grip but the wheel is not accessible to my thumb

Sony A100 - Wheel too small. and some how did not feel comfortable.

I did not try too many pictures with these. The were an out right NO.

Nikon D80 - Awesome Body: it fits the grip.But i found it slightly heavy. I can easily understand why so many people here like it. I had tried it once before i bought the 400D but some how did not like it then, surprisingly i liked it this time around.

Pentax K100D - The store i went to did not have a K10D. they said i had to buy it upfront and then could return it within 10 days for a full refund if i did not like it. The K100D was reasonably comfortable. the click sounded too loud. and i felt i could hear the mirror lockup and heard the sound.
but after clicking a few times, it felt normal. in my very rudimentary test, i could clearly see a two stop advantage with its shake reduction on. pentax claims the k10D has improved SR, but im not willing to shell out 1K just to try something out.

So im down to the classic dilemma Cannon or Nikon? im going back to the 400D, mainly because im used to the body and weight. and hopefully i can buy a better lens with my next bonus.

Thanks
cheers
ram