Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What camera to buy?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:26 pm 

Hi, I want to buy a good quailty compact camera and need some advice. I want to be able to take quick snap photos but also want to be able to adjust all of the settings eg focus, shutter speed and apeature but I don't want to buy a slr. As I am doing A level photography next year I need to have a good quality camera and have the option of buying new lences. I have looked at the Canno A640 and fuji pinepix E900 but want to know if there is anything better out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tommygun1, welcome to the forums!

I'd say you're definitely thinking along the right lines in terms of models. The Canon A640 is a great compact in terms of photographic control and the one I'd go for if that's what you're after.

If you're studying photography though, you will find a DSLR much more flexible and something which can grow with you. Have you rejected them on size, price, handling, or something else? Models like the Nikon D40 are relatively affordable, produce great quality pictures and can grow with you. Or a 2nd hand D50 perhaps, or maybe a Canon 350D / XT. There's some great deal on the older Olympus E-500 too.

I'd also say if you're thinking of buying additional lenses in the future not to bother with a compact. Sure the A640 does have lens attachments, but they're no substitute for what you can do with a DSLR. Seriously.

Gordon