Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm 

I have a canon eos 40d which I'm looking to replace. I have a lumix gm1 for general photography but it's not up to trackside Motorsport use. I keep being told mirrorless camera AF systems will not match a dslr for tracking fast action, with possible exception of Sony a6300. My question is, would an OMD 5 mk2, whilst not a match for a 7d mk2 or 80d, be at least as good as my 40d (which would be adequate) for Motorsport work? Most of my shots are 1/1000+ approaches or 1/160 ish pans. The OMD has many other advantages (size, lens sharing) for me, so as long as it was 40d good enough for tracking fast action, I'd be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am 

I think an E-M5 should be satisfactory, especially if you use the fact that motorsports generally follow a predictable path to your advantage. But if you really need the AF to track a subject as it moves rapidly toward (or away from) you, you may want to consider an E-M1, instead. That said, I've shot motorsports with my GH2 and produced results I found satisfactory by working around this limitation and pre-focusing on a specific area of the track (and stopping down to f8-11; admittedly, this wouldn't be possible for a night race). (And keep in mind that you only need a fraction of a second to pre-focus.)

So unless you're shooting motocross jumps at night and can't position yourself to the side of the ramp...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am 

Thanks. Does the Om-d 5 allow you to fix aperture and shutter speed while ISO is left to vary?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 am 

Supposedly, it does, but this needs to be activated in the menu system.

http://mrfindlayphoto.blogspot.com/2014 ... o-iso.html

http://thumati.com/chronicle/2013/4/7/s ... us-omd-em5