Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:47 pm 

Would appreciate thoughts/suggestions on the following:

A6000 vs OM-D E-M5

Relatively new to photography, only camera in recent history was an Olympus SW. Not for underwater shooting, only b/c I travel a fair amount to remote areas and am relatively rough on things.

Would prefer something easy to learn.
Camera is largely for photographing children, travel etc.
Concerned about lack of image stabilization and weather proofing in A6000
Not that I intend on scuba diving with it, but shooting/carrying in the rain, safari, desert etc might be a consideration.
Video quality is also a concern.
Lens selection not very important as I will likely only one buy an additional zoom lens.
Size re ability and likelihood of carry is also a consideration.

Thoughts on other cameras with the following also appreciated, in case there is one I missed;

Decent sensor size
Good auto focus
Image stabilization
Good low light performance
Decent video capability
Weatherproofing
Fairly small for easy carry

Thanks,

Cragen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 am 

A couple of quick notes:

Quote:
I will likely only one buy an additional zoom lens.

Unless either/both of the lenses you intend to buy are also weather sealed, a weather sealed camera isn't a huge deal.

On the other hand, unless both Sony lenses you intend to buy are stabilized, Oly's in-body stabilization would have an edge. And my guess is that Oly's 5-axis IBIS would have an edge over lens-based stabilization, anyway (especially for video).

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:20 am 

Hi Cragen,

Welcome to the forum. I don't write reviews but having read quite a few I'm wondering how important in-body stabilisation actually would be for you. The A6000 comes with a stabilised kit lens and it also features excellent AF so it should keep up well with the kids. It also has a small built in flash to help when indoor lighting is poor. I'm more than happy with my E-M1 and E-M5 but maybe the A6000 is a closer fit to your needs. If you can try and get to a store and handle both cameras...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:59 pm 

Appreciate the replies. Have handled a6000, which I liked better than the omd5, but about the same as the omd 1. Shame sony didn't weather proof it, following the adage that the best camera is the one you have with you, I would prefer compact size AND weatherproofing to ensure that the camera isn't a chore to add to everything else carried around, nor left behind due to the climate.

Any alternate camera suggestions?

Thanks again,

Cragen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:07 am 

Hi Cragen,

Well, if I were starting over I'd probably still end up with the same system (see my Sig below) but my needs aren't your needs and over the years I've become more resistant to venturing out in wet weather with a camera so although my E-M1 and its kit lens are weather resistant that isn't a big deal for me. Fast single shot AF is important, though, and the E-M1 achieves that handily. I'm not into movies.

If m4/3rds was off the table I'd be very tempted indeed by the Fujifilm X-T1 (review) and the first of the Fujinon weather sealed XF zoom lenses, namely the XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR (link), is just about to hit the shelves but it's not cheap! Fuji has also promised two more weather resistant zooms, the XF16-55mmF2.8 R OIS WR and XF50-140mmF2.8 R OIS WR, for the future.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.