Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 pm 

When I'm not using a DSLR (and that is getting more frequent as time passes) I carry a Canon SX240 HS. It's the best in a long line of Canon and Olympus compacts I've had over the years but its image quality isn't quite good enough to satisfy.

I'm very tempted by Panasonic's FZ200, but will the image quality be significantly better than my Canon's, given the limitations of the sensor size?

And if the quality difference isn't so great, can anyone suggest a camera that might offer a visible quality difference without my having to go back to the weight and hassle of interchangeable lenses?

My requirements are probably very common. I want a reasonable zoom range (in 35mm terms 24(ish)-600(ish) would be fine. Video ability is important and I want as small a camera as I can get.

All suggestions will be very gratefully received!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 am 

Quote:
Panasonic's FZ200, but will the image quality be significantly better than my Canon's, given the limitations of the sensor size?

In low-light conditions, yes. In broad daylight, probably not.

Quote:
I want a reasonable zoom range (in 35mm terms 24(ish)-600(ish) would be fine. Video ability is important and I want as small a camera as I can get.

If you need low-light performance, the FZ200 is only constant f2.8 aperture superzoom that I know of. But if you don't need low-light performance, you might have a look at Gordon's reviews of:

Panasonic TZ40/ZS30
Canon SX280
Sony HX50V

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:03 pm 

Maestro wrote:
If you need low-light performance, the FZ200 is only constant f2.8 aperture superzoom that I know of. But if you don't need low-light performance, you might have a look at Gordon's reviews of:

Panasonic TZ40/ZS30
Canon SX280
Sony HX50V

HTH - Mark

Thanks, Mark. I had a look in a camera shop today and was quite surprised by how close in size a current bridge camera is to one of the smaller DSLRs. So much so that I'm even contemplating sticking with a DSLR and enduring a (physically) large zoom lens.

The shop suggested a Panasonic TZ60 as a potential halfway house, but didn't have one I could try. I'm still not sure if it would show any significant difference over an SX240 Canon, though. I'll await Gordon's final review with interest!