Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm 

Hi Guys,

Pls. help me on this. I am a hobbyist and currently deciding which camera to buy.
My interest is on People, pet photography (we breed shiatsu and sell them on-line)
and action/sports photography. Being member of the bank's camera club, we also
shoot bank events.

My wife and i have our d5100 for almost 2 years now, and i find some limitations
of the camera as far as action/sports photography is concerned.

Since i shoot an average of 2-4x a month, which is better for me?
Brand new of d7100 here in the Philippines is about $909; second hand
of the d300s is about $840.

Thank you in advance...

Jimmy John Santos
Manila, Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 am 

jjcs wrote:
My wife and i have our d5100 for almost 2 years now, and i find some limitations of the camera as far as action/sports photography is concerned.

Can you describe these limitations in more detail? And which lens(es) are you currently using?

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am 

Maestro wrote:
jjcs wrote:
My wife and i have our d5100 for almost 2 years now, and i find some limitations of the camera as far as action/sports photography is concerned.

Can you describe these limitations in more detail? And which lens(es) are you currently using?

Mark

Sir Mark,

i only have the kit lens 18-55vr. I was in a gym last weekend covering an event.
In one instance, several muse were line up for judges to see. I was about 5 feet away, .
I set my aperture at F11, ISO at 800 shutter at 1/8. A bit dim in the gym so i had to use my
built in flash.

It took around 2 seconds, before the camera hit one shot after the other.

my buddies would click their cameras 3 times faster than me.

thanks...

JJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 pm 

jjcs wrote:
Maestro wrote:
jjcs wrote:

Mark

Sir Mark,

i only have the kit lens 18-55vr. I was in a gym last weekend covering an event.
In one instance, several muse were line up for judges to see. I was about 5 feet away, .
I set my aperture at F11, ISO at 800 shutter at 1/8. A bit dim in the gym so i had to use my
built in flash.

It took around 2 seconds, before the camera hit one shot after the other.

my buddies would click their cameras 3 times faster than me.

thanks...

JJ

what you need is a better and faster lens not a better camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 pm 

or put your aperture at 5.6, iso at 1600 or 3200. You need faster shutterspeed, you are not taking landscape photographs with a tripod.

Your flash should give you faster speed, must be some settings you can tweak.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:33 am 

Or use manual focus which should be doable since your DoF at f11 should be relatively deep. Granted, the D5100 doesn't have optical DoF preview, but anything in focus at f5.6 (or wider) should also be in focus at f11. And if you are having trouble focusing because of low light indoors, well, your camera is trying to do the same thing. So that gets back to "you need a faster/brighter lens" (or you need to add more lights, which is not always possible/practical at a sporting event).

But the overall point (as I suspected, which is why I asked) is that this is really more of a lens issue, not a camera issue.

Mark