Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:10 am 

Okay I know this is my first post, I've been coming here for years and didn't know this site had a forum area, both happy and sad, happy that is does have a forum, sad as 10 hours per will now be spent here.

Okay, currently I have a Lumix FZ35 and I will be 100% honest, I've had it for a few years and have kept in on auto mode pretty much the entire time, however, I did just but the book Understanding Exposer because I do want to learn. My birthday is coming up soon and the plan is to get a nicer camera. I've have it down to the 4/3rds OMD-1 or the 5D Mark II. Today though I spotted a 70D for $1299 at Costco it comes with 2 lenses (18-65 & 65-250 (or something like that [I know it's not full frame like the 5D Mark II]). Anyway, I really want to like the 4/3rds format, it looks promising and hope that is the way of the future, if so, and since I'm not locked into a system currently, this may very well be the way to go, again not sure. All of my DLSR friends are pushing me towards either the 5D Mark II and now that I've seen the 70D I think that may also be the way to go for my intended use. I'd like to get some feedback for those in the know (you all) and decide from there.

I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm retired and time is on my side, as well as I'm eager to learn. As far as budget, I don't really have one, I don't want to get something cheap and then one year later but something nice, that seems wasteful. I also don't need to spend $3,000+ if I don't need to.

Usage, I plan on shooting my daughter & wife, cars, motorcycles, nature and would take videos as well. I loved to get into shooting things like the Golden Gate Bridge etc.

Thank you in advance,

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am 

Hi Triple, welcome aboard.

Personally I wouldn`t buy a 5D II, if you are going to go full frame I would look at the 6D, its much smaller and lighter than a 5D. With some of the f4 zoom lenses like the 17-40 and the 24-105, it would set you up nicely. Having a 6D and a 7D , I wouldn`t buy a 70D, the 6D is a pretty nice camera to use. Full Frame and the lenses that come with it are worth it.

The problem with the crop sensors in the canon range is that the lenses are not smaller or lighter, basically you might as well be using a full frame body. Yes you can buy crop EF-S lenses and I have a few that I got with my 7D, but now that I have the 6D I don`t use them. In fact I am thinking of selling the 15-85 and the Sigma 30 1.4.

I have just been on a 2 month holiday with the family and the caravan, I found that size and weight is a consideration. I really like using the 6D and the 17-40L f4 together and I don`t need the 2.8 Aperture it becomes too big and heavy. for example, using the 6D with the 24-70 2.8 tamron reminds me of that every time. Sure when you need 2.8 aperture you need it, but its not as important with the high iso abilities bodies have these days.
There is certainly a difference picking up the 7D compared to a 6D and an f4 lens compared to a f2.8 aperture lens.

I think that the 4/3 does have a lot to offer, the smaller size is an advantage and as the lenses are designed around that system they are smaller and lighter.Go and handle The OEM-1 and see if its suits you. If I was starting again I would have to have a serious look at that system. It might not suit me entirely, as I really enjoy bird photography and very fast focus is a must, but carrying around the heavier gear can be a pain.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:52 pm 

Maxj,

I really appreciate your replay. Thank you very much!

I'll give the 6D a looksy and considering where I'm starting from as a new camera person, I have no lenses, so therefore no loyalty. Which puts me in a good situation for a new purchase or at least I hope so.

All the best!

Triple

PS. I checked out the 6D (didn't even know that camera existed). I like the compactness of it that's for sure.

Last edited by Triple Threat on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 am 

Triple Threat wrote:
I plan on shooting my daughter & wife, cars, motorcycles, nature and would take videos as well. I loved to get into shooting things like the Golden Gate Bridge etc.

Wife/daughter doing what, exactly? Assuming all of the cameras on your short list are used appropriately, I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell a difference between static (posed) portrait shots taken on any/all of them, for example. (A similar point could be made with regard to shots of the Golden Gate bridge.)

Similarly, cars/motorcycles in a show or on a race track?

And "nature" could be anything from a bird in flight to a waterfall, either of which has different requirements.

Having said that, I would rule out the 5DII because the video implementation is not as current as the others.

Having said that, almost everyone would be better off shooting video on a dedicated video camera.

Having said that, I think you'd be best served by learning to use the manual mode on your FZ35. And then, when you know exactly which types of photographs are bumping up against the limits of the camera, buy something that's well suited to those types of photographs.

Mark

P.S. For the record, I currently shoot both stills and video on an Olympus E-PL5 and Panasonic GH1 and GH2 and Canon T4i (650D) and 70D.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 am 

The shots I plan to take are stills for the most part, even when it comes to automotive shots. The nature shots would be still as well. I'd like to get into long exposers shots of the GG Bridge, for example having the fog rolling over the bridge and capturing a 30 seconds mist affect if you will. I don't plan on using the camera for live sports.

I can't say I disagree with you on learning to use my camera in manual mode either. All great advice.

All the best,

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:46 am 

Triple Threat wrote:
The shots I plan to take are stills for the most part, even when it comes to automotive shots. The nature shots would be still as well.

Given that, as an unbiased user of both m4/3 and Canon APS-C (70D), I don't see any technical reason either the E-M1 or the 70D would hold you back. (Assuming, again, they are both used properly with appropriate lenses.)

So I would recommend you go to a store where you can handle both cameras to see which one feels better to you.

Although, again, I would really recommend you learn on your FZ35 first - Mark