Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm 

I'm in the market for upgrading my current superzoom with another camera in the same class. For some time now, I’ve been leaning toward the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. In the in-depth review on this site, I saw a rather useful comparison of the FZ200 with the Canon SX50, which has further cemented my opinion. I’ve been particularly captivated by the Panasonic’s constant f2.8 aperture, capable burst mode, and high resolution viewfinder. Supposedly the FZ200 also has a pretty impressive autofocus, which is very attractive considering one of my primary subjects of interest is birds, whether they be perched, wading, or in flight. Like most non-DSLRs - which I am heavily against, BTW, due to both their inherently unwieldy and costly natures – I know the FZ200 uses Contrast Detect AF technology. One of the only superzooms I’ve come across to instead employ the supposedly better Phase Detect AF technology is the Fujifilm HS50-EXR. Thus far, though, I’ve been unable to find any similar review articles comparing the performance of those two cameras. I was wondering whether anyone here had any experience or opinion to that effect. Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks. (I even thought of contacting the staff of this site and suggesting they do an article comparing the two models, but I haven’t yet been able to locate any contact information or method.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:53 pm 

Is there not a comparison between the two in the reviews?

Depending on how exhaustive the review is, Gordon or another reviewer would need a sample of both cameras at the same time to do a full head-to-head review but depending on how long a sample is kept for, it may not be practical to do the head-to-head review when the individual review will almost certainly take priority.

For a Top Trumps comparison, as opposed to what they're like to use or what they're like in the real world, you always have SnapSort.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:36 am 

Rorschach wrote:
Is there not a comparison between the two in the reviews?

That was my first thought, but the Fuji HS50 doesn't seem to be among the models that this site has reviewed.

Rorschach wrote:
Depending on how exhaustive the review is, Gordon or another reviewer would need a sample of both cameras at the same time to do a full head-to-head review but depending on how long a sample is kept for, it may not be practical to do the head-to-head review when the individual review will almost certainly take priority.

For a Top Trumps comparison, as opposed to what they're like to use or what they're like in the real world, you always have SnapSort.

And thanks, I'd been previously unaware of SnapSort. Looks like a great resource for doing on-the-surface objective comparisons of features.
What I'm hoping to find, though, are actual tests in real-world shooting situations. SnapSort rated the two cameras quite closely, giving the Fuji a 3-point edge, but mentioning nothing at all about the Panasonic 's constant aperture across the zoom range. That, to me, is a huge plus.

I'm going to keep looking, but I seem to be convincing myself more and more that the FZ200 is the camera to beat.